Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rip Van Winkle (Ridley) and I got a bit of a late start yesterday. For some strange reason he thought rest was more important than metal detecting? Go figure.
We met up with a coworker of mine (Charles) at an old ball field out in the country that used to be an old farm property. Just last week, Charles (a newbie) found a 1882IH, a 1887IH, a no date Buff. nickel, and an unreadable IH around this field.
After searching this field for awhile, and coming up with a few relics, we moved over to an area with a huge oak tree that was now a dirt and grass entrance and parking area. This was where the old home used to sit, as you could literally look down and see old relics where the dirt path is washing away. All kinds of old colored glass, pottery shards, square head nails, horseshoes, glass insulators, bottles, axe heads, foundation blocks, bricks, etc., etc. It is "relic road". Ridley dug a beautiful very old lock in the grass parking area and we also got a few wheats. (See his post)
With the heat moving in, and more spots on our list, we headed off to hit a few old schools that Charles knew of close by. One was a very old high school in the middle of town (pictured). The Barney Fife police station was right next door, so we didn't feel comfortable digging there. We moved off to an old elementary school that had a huge playground field (pictured), and even some of the old metal pipe play equipment mixed in with the modern plastic stuff. Folks, this was a BDoo paradise! ;D The ground was pretty hard this time of year, so we hit mainly around the play equipment.
The two old swingsets turned up quarter after quarter. That was a treat.
By this time we were tired, sweating like dogs, and needed to head back.
On the last leg of the tour, Ridley and I hit my old standby plantation house (pictured).
Ridley found a neat decorative cosmetic compact (see his post), and I think I found a musketball (pictured). It was a shaded area, but the mosquitoes were fierce. With just enough energy left to throw our equipment into the truck we called it a day. Man, I can't wait until summer is over!!! :'(
We ended up with no wilver or good old coins, but had a good time anyways.

*Can anyone tell me if this is indeed a musketball? I found it in front of the plantation house. It is about 12cm (1/2") in size. It's lead, but no white patina.

Thanks and have a great week,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 396
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 402
  • MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 395
  • MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 394
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 392
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 394
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 398
  • MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 387
Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find's MM...Look's like you might have a "pistol ball" of some sort.Good luck and HH!!

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Nice finds! Just think what you might have found if Ridley wasn't being so lazy. :D

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always love to read your posts! ;) Great pictures too!

Congrats on those finds sounds like a great time!

Nana :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread