Went to school yesterday....never too old to learn :) 7-28-2007

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Yesterday I went to school....to my son's elementary school to metal detect, that is :)

This school was first attended in January 1963. I was told 1965...but after some research, it was 1963...so that brings to mind now....the coins I found were dropped in the ground when the homes were built around the school. My house, which is two blocks behind the school was built in 1965...I need to find out when the houses around the school were built.

But along the fences that separate the school yard from the homes backyards, there sits this tree in a homeowners yard. On the school yard side, I got mutliple coin signals...so I dig. They were all pennies, but that was ok by me....(pics below). My youngest was a 1967 and my oldest was a 1949. I got 3 wheaties from this area and a pull tab :) (can't leave out the infamous pull tabs!!! I am finding they can be crucial in dating your finds! :)).

Still alot of ground to cover and I hope to get it all done before school starts in a few weeks :)....I have yet to hit my oldest boy's middle (junior high) school....hopefully I'll be able to make a trip or two (already received permission from the principal, vice principal and the guidance counselor...so I think I am set in permission granted LOL). Not sure about the history of where the middle school is...gonna' have to hit some census records and look up newspaper articles of when it was built.

I started out about 9am and left at noon...it was getting to HOT for me!!! I may stop over again this evening after our afternoon thunderstorm (which has been nearly a daily thing for about a week!) and when it's cooler.

Also, I was told that this school yard....has not had dirt brought in...it's pretty much in the same status as when the land was bought for the school and when it was lived on and farmed. Not sure if this farmland was part of the farmland we now live on (not a farm anymore)....research will tell me.

Enjoy the pics and I hope to be able to produce more finds in the coming weeks.

Happy Hunting ya'll....
Annmarie

Attachments

• IMGP3388a.jpg
    IMGP3388a.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 398
  • IMGP3393a.jpg
    IMGP3393a.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 403
  • IMGP3395a.jpg
    IMGP3395a.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 390
  • IMGP3398a.jpg
    IMGP3398a.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 400
  • IMGP3405a.jpg
    IMGP3405a.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 388
  • IMGP3411a.jpg
    IMGP3411a.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 380
Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post, great set of wheaties :)

HH
-GC

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very nice finds ! love the wheats, and great pics to i might add ! congrats to you ;)

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Great post and I really like the pics.

leslie(nova scotia)

Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yo Ron

From the land of the Bluenose.....from reading your post I determined that.....you love this hobby. Good story and pics sir!

Hope to hit a few schools once this darn neck and shoulder spasms is taken care of. Sitting on the sidelines is no fun.

R

RUDY2003

Good post guys! Nice pics.
Theres a lot of ground to cover there....

Keep safe...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread