one heck of a FIRST day

TimmyNY

Nov 28, 2005
Western New York
After a long wait for the snow to melt here in Western NY, Seeker Jeff and I decided to go out to the 2 old cellar holes to see if we could squeeze a few more large cents of buttons out of the ground. We stayed for about 3 hours without finding anything but a few bits of iron and nails. We decided to hit some new cellar holes that John fond on an old map from 1850

Well the first 2 spots we looked we couldn’t find any evidence of a hole and after a quick pass with no results we moved on to the third. Now this one was very over grown and wet but there was a hole and some stone. So we gave it a go. Now when we got to looking john went left and Jeff went right and I stayed in the front of the hole. I was coming around a large tree and got a hit that turned out to be a big iron buckle. John was coming back around and was almost to me when he saw me digging the buckle so he turned towards the road. I started on and was almost to where John turned when I got a huge hit that nobody could miss. The first shovel I turned over revealed 2 large silver pieces. I yelled for John and when he came over I handed them to him without even looking at them. I swept the hole again and bang another hit . the next scoop held the quarter. Checking again another hit out comes the large cent. We noticed that scattered about the hole were pieces of a change purse so I took my time and found as many as I could.

[attach 1]

So today was a day for 4 firsts. First cache. First silver dollar 1886 s. First barber half 1901. first barber quarter 1906.

[attach 2]

Jeff had to go home so John and I took a little break. While resting and having a bit to eat John walked across the street and found an old well. Now here was a site that wasn’t on any of our maps ( 1850 1867 or 1905) of the area so we didn’t know what to expect. I went in to check out around the well and John started right by the road. There was a small cut along the where the road grader had scraped down about 8 inches. I found a couple spoon handles right off the bat when John starts finding keepers. Ill let him tell what he found but he was feeling better about missing the cache. After he found about 4 good keepers, I was starting to get sick of finding just spoons. Just then I found a nice button. A few minutes later I had a nice hit that had coin written all over it. Down about 8 inches out came the half reale. I cant get a dater but I believe it is a Carolus III from about 1770s.John got a few more hits that turned out good when I got another that turned out to be a small pewter toy hatchet. I decided to go out to where the road cut was when I got a low hit that turned up a nice silver plate button. I swept the hole again and had some iffy hits but I couldn’t find them because I was having problems with my machine nulling.
John suggested digging the hole big and spreading it out. I was still having problems so I just used my x1 probe to check the pile by the time I was done the hole gave up the silver plated button, a pewter button, a nice 1817 large cent, a piece of chain with what looks to be a coin holder attached to it, a piece of glass that might be from a locket and a small thimble that a child might have used. Not bad for a hole that I couldn’t get a clear signal from.

[attach 3]

[attach 4]

By then my back was giving out so John and I decided to call it a day.

Hope you enjoyed the day as much as I did and Happy hunting everyone.

Tim

Attachments

• cache 1.JPG
    cache 1.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,265
  • cache 2.JPG
    cache 2.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,258
  • old hole 1.JPG
    old hole 1.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,255
  • old hole coins.JPG
    old hole coins.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,260
Upvote 0

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent first day i'd say ! great finds

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Awesome stuff Tim. ;D That's a lot of great finds all in one day. You guys got some great spots. Makes me feel like not even posting my finds. ::)

Bob

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could not have told this story any better.......This was one heck of a day! Research ...Research ...Research and a little luck! It always pays off and today it did in more ways than you can imagine...........This is one of those adventures you will always remember and it could not have happened to a nicer guy........you deserve it! But you Know what .......All I can say is ( So close but yet so far away!!! ) hahhhahah ......I have never found a SilverDollar and a Barber half. We know there still out there!

Plus the Cellar Hole across the Road.......I just can't explain it, I just have that feeling and it just happens to pay off. I think we have another Old Cellar hole Tim and this one is as old as the 2 Old Cellar hole site. So with all that said .........

CONGRATS on a Great Day!

The Seeker

P.S. You know where I will be tomorrow! HH

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Wow, what a great first day you had, I think the best ever that I have seen. This hobby is easy huh ::). COngrats big time. Great write up and photos and your story is an inspiration. Best of luck to you in your future searches!!

Smiles!
BDoo

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Timmy, Seeker is right! It couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Congratulations on a great day! :o

This thread definitely belongs in the Best of Tnet!! 8)

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Wow on the silver!! :o :o :o Also very nice on the 1817 large cent I collect large cents...i never find them...just collect them!

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW TIM !

Very impressive, congrats.

Nat