one heck of a FIRST day

TimmyNY

Nov 28, 2005
Western New York
After a long wait for the snow to melt here in Western NY, Seeker Jeff and I decided to go out to the 2 old cellar holes to see if we could squeeze a few more large cents of buttons out of the ground. We stayed for about 3 hours without finding anything but a few bits of iron and nails. We decided to hit some new cellar holes that John fond on an old map from 1850

Well the first 2 spots we looked we couldn’t find any evidence of a hole and after a quick pass with no results we moved on to the third. Now this one was very over grown and wet but there was a hole and some stone. So we gave it a go. Now when we got to looking john went left and Jeff went right and I stayed in the front of the hole. I was coming around a large tree and got a hit that turned out to be a big iron buckle. John was coming back around and was almost to me when he saw me digging the buckle so he turned towards the road. I started on and was almost to where John turned when I got a huge hit that nobody could miss. The first shovel I turned over revealed 2 large silver pieces. I yelled for John and when he came over I handed them to him without even looking at them. I swept the hole again and bang another hit . the next scoop held the quarter. Checking again another hit out comes the large cent. We noticed that scattered about the hole were pieces of a change purse so I took my time and found as many as I could.

[attach 1]

So today was a day for 4 firsts. First cache. First silver dollar 1886 s. First barber half 1901. first barber quarter 1906.

[attach 2]

Jeff had to go home so John and I took a little break. While resting and having a bit to eat John walked across the street and found an old well. Now here was a site that wasn’t on any of our maps ( 1850 1867 or 1905) of the area so we didn’t know what to expect. I went in to check out around the well and John started right by the road. There was a small cut along the where the road grader had scraped down about 8 inches. I found a couple spoon handles right off the bat when John starts finding keepers. Ill let him tell what he found but he was feeling better about missing the cache. After he found about 4 good keepers, I was starting to get sick of finding just spoons. Just then I found a nice button. A few minutes later I had a nice hit that had coin written all over it. Down about 8 inches out came the half reale. I cant get a dater but I believe it is a Carolus III from about 1770s.John got a few more hits that turned out good when I got another that turned out to be a small pewter toy hatchet. I decided to go out to where the road cut was when I got a low hit that turned up a nice silver plate button. I swept the hole again and had some iffy hits but I couldn’t find them because I was having problems with my machine nulling.
John suggested digging the hole big and spreading it out. I was still having problems so I just used my x1 probe to check the pile by the time I was done the hole gave up the silver plated button, a pewter button, a nice 1817 large cent, a piece of chain with what looks to be a coin holder attached to it, a piece of glass that might be from a locket and a small thimble that a child might have used. Not bad for a hole that I couldn’t get a clear signal from.

[attach 3]

[attach 4]

By then my back was giving out so John and I decided to call it a day.

Hope you enjoyed the day as much as I did and Happy hunting everyone.

Tim

Attachments

• cache 1.JPG
    cache 1.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,265
  • cache 2.JPG
    cache 2.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,258
  • old hole 1.JPG
    old hole 1.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,255
  • old hole coins.JPG
    old hole coins.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,260
Upvote 0

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
ALL I CAN SAY IS - FANTASTIC! INCREDIBLE! BIG SILVER (INCLUDING THE BIGGEST AMERICAN SILVER) IN AN OLD CHANGE PURSE! HOW COOL IS THAT? FINDS LIKE THAT IS WHAT METAL DETECTING IS ALL ABOUT! WAY TO GO! ALSO A NICE LARGE CENT AND HALF REALE! A DAY TO REMEMBER!

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an incredible day!!WTG!!!!!!!!!!!HH

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Superb finds, Timmy...glad you, Seeker and Jeff had a outstanding day. WTG! ;D

;) RR

Attachments

• pac3dthumbsup.jpg
    pac3dthumbsup.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 916
  • pac3dthumbsup.jpg
    pac3dthumbsup.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 918

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are awsome finds!!!!
Congrats on your first day out again.

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
WOW! Talk about some great finds!! WTG! I went out today and all I got was SKUNKED!
Sean

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,one of the best ones Ive read in a while,what an awsome day for you guys.Any one of those coins could be a great day on there own.
HH :D

JvilleHunter

Jun 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Equinox 800
Wow...I can only imagine the excitement you had when you realized what you had found. Good luck with the next cellar holes...congrats!!

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
Your 1817 large cent is the scarce "15 stars" variety, the only Coronet Head large cent of any date that has 15 rather than 13 stars on the obverse. It isn't worth a huge premium over the 13 stars variety, but it's still a special find.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You guy's are awesome....That's about all I can say on this one.Great dig's guy's.Research is the key....Congrat's Tim!!!!

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent Timmy! ( of course you already knew that! ) :D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes, I'd say you had a fantastic day!!! What a great bunch of finds. Super post & pictures too.
Tim- When you refer to using old maps, are they the Sanborn maps?
Congrats,
MM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread