One in a 389,000 find.

pariswalk29 (NH)

Sep 10, 2007
Derry NH
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
HI all
Just wanted to share some pictures of my most recent find. I've recently found a new cellar hole here in Derry NH, one
that I've walked past at least 6 times before. We just had a night of heavy rain, so I knew that this would be a good opportunity to get out and do some MD'ing.
Sorry I don't have any pictures of the site, but I didn't have my camera with me at the time. I was walking to another field I've been working for a few days now when i stumbled across this cellar hole. I decided to work the field nearby first, when that didn't pan out I moved over to the new cellar hole.
I was looking around the cellar hole and came across the button first. Seems like a virgin site, because of the items I was digging up. I found one button about 6 feet from the front door way. The other buttons ( the large one and copper looking one) were both found inside some cracks of some of the rocks on top.
The rare find, a 1821 Large Cent coin. It was only buried about 1 inch or so on a downward slope toward the center of the house. I took a look at it, thinking nice find, did my little happy dance.. ha ha.. then shortly afterwards had to get going due to weather. I've only hunted 1/2 the site around the immediate area of the house. I've got a lot more to work on. I will keep you updated if I find more. When I got home, I cleaned up the buttons and they all seem to have a pattern on them. Some you can see more than others. I was working on cleaning the dirt off the coin, and decided to look it up in my RedBook coin list. I found out there were only 389,000 of these coins made. So immediately I just dried it off and put it in plastic. I'm thinking about getting it professionally cleaned and maybe graded. What do you think?
I will keep you updated as I hopefully find more items in this spot.
take care and Happy Easter to you all. Or Should I say Happy Resurrection Day.

Mike B Derry NH

If I can, I'll also include a pic of my Father holding up a 9 pound Lobster we had recently.

Attachments

• DSC00308.JPG
    DSC00308.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,039
  • DSC00306.JPG
    DSC00306.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,036
  • DSC00295.JPG
    DSC00295.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 1,033
  • DSC00315.JPG
    DSC00315.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 1,039
  • DSC00302.JPG
    DSC00302.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,030
  • DSC00310.JPG
    DSC00310.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,019
  • DSC00317.JPG
    DSC00317.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,006
Upvote 0

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
Sweet hunt,I like that Lg cent and the buttons
keep hunting that area there is more to be found
Congrats :thumbsup:

fortbball9

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds - congrats!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Looks like you found a good spot! Congrats on the largie! No not the lobster, although it is huge! ;D I grew up in Manchester and seeing stuff like this... yes including the lobster, makes me a bit homesick!

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
Believe it or not I had a bigger lobster in Korea years ago, ate the tail raw and the rest with butter and garlic!! good eats

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
Cool find. I don't understand why with the low mintages of the LC, that their value doesn't compare to others of the same mintage. Must be a collector thing I guess.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
oh man that is a sweet find and that lobster looks good enough to eat ;D ;D ;D ;D

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7 years ago, when I first started detecting, an 1821 LC was my VERY FIRST coin find. Coin is in nice shape, but it would be a waste of time and money to have it sent out. All they are going to put on it is "Environmental Damage". Your coin, like mine, as is, is worth abou $50-$100. If you send it out, usually there is a 5 coin minimum on submission. Is it worth it? NO. Trust me....If you don't have a BIG $ coin, it's not worth the 100+ your going to pay for the submission. UNLESS..that's what you want. :icon_scratch: If your thinking of selling it, sell it as is , maybe after the peroxide bath. There is still plenty of detail and doesn't seem to be too "pitted". :thumbsup: CONGRATULATIONS on a key date find!! HH HOGGE

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice LC I also like the lobster....Matt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job of banding the claws on that lobster, it could do serious damage to a large cent. :thumbsup:

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like a good site, those buttons are some cool finds and that large cent is awesome! Hope you find alot more good finds there. HH!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
hogge said:
7 years ago, when I first started detecting, an 1821 LC was my VERY FIRST coin find. Coin is in nice shape, but it would be a waste of time and money to have it sent out. All they are going to put on it is "Environmental Damage". Your coin, like mine, as is, is worth abou $50-$100. If you send it out, usually there is a 5 coin minimum on submission. Is it worth it? NO. Trust me....If you don't have a BIG $ coin, it's not worth the 100+ your going to pay for the submission. UNLESS..that's what you want. :icon_scratch: If your thinking of selling it, sell it as is , maybe after the peroxide bath. There is still plenty of detail and doesn't seem to be too "pitted". :thumbsup: CONGRATULATIONS on a key date find!! HH HOGGE

I agree with Hogge.

Nice find tho! I would love to see it cleaned up!

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds, key date, alright. Congrats, that is one big crawfish.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds ,coins ,buttons and lobster what a combo ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions