pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went out scouting a new field and it was a bomb, so I moved over to a site next door to it and started to dig iron.
This site has produced a few really nice keepers as tokens, GW Button, and few nice relics.
The down side there's iron and lots of it, though the sod is like cutting into butter with a hot knife so its easy for retrievals. 3 1/2 hrs of telegraph beeping going off I dug enough iron to say that's enough once again. Being 5 minutes away I can return another day to dig out more in the future.
I have been thinking about doing a lease on this site to set up a sifter and using the loader on the tractor do the whole site, as there's a 100' x 100' x 1' iron patch that has the old underneath the iron. So the only real nice piece was the rein guide, and one hand forged hook that I'll restore at a later date. Some old glass, part of pipe bowl, and bits.
IMG_20170910_181406583.jpg IMG_20170910_181424044.jpg

Got a couple of :dontknow:The thick sheet has been cut, looks like what tomback button type of metal, and the other is a thick brass cone shaped piece.

IMG_20170910_172401271.jpg IMG_20170910_152419363_HDR.jpg

And a little pile of iron.

IMG_20170910_173250612.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 16

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old iron can be fun to dig, but I have to be in the mood. Should be some great stuff mixed in there. Good luck.

HH, RN

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a lot of Iron brother! And big pieces to boot. I bet there's some old stuff under there like you said so if you can do a lease and remove some of that iron, you'll be into some goodies. I'm glad you got out Pepp

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the heavy iron tends to make me save it for when I have nothing else to hunt. I am not as young as I used to be so I can get picky sometimes. I know that there can be some very good targets in amongst it because I have dug some. I have to say that the cooler weather helps for the iron patch. I have a lot of respect for the hard core relic hunters that dig some very intense iron, they find some amazing stuff. But I can understand wanting to use heavy equipment to even the odds. good luck on your endeavor.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a fun relic hunt! :occasion14:

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The old iron can be fun to dig, but I have to be in the mood. Should be some great stuff mixed in there. Good luck.

HH, RN

Thanks Relic Nut
I'll take what ever this site gives me as I have to work at getting a keeper out. I hear you on the right mood for digging iron.
Best of luck on your next outing.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs!! Congrats and HH

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a lot of Iron brother! And big pieces to boot. I bet there's some old stuff under there like you said so if you can do a lease and remove some of that iron, you'll be into some goodies. I'm glad you got out Pepp

Thanks Steve
It's one of those go to sites when all the other options are off the table. I have told by the locals this part of the field was commonly known as machinery hill, its proven to be like a bone yard for bits of everything related to farming. One of the owners told me that the blacksmithing shop was on the other side of the property, but I'm debating that now with all the iron concentration, clinkers, forged iron bits that I've dug. I know where the well sits, the cellar impression, but have to hit the ash pit.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you're in the right spot for some early stuff buddy. Trust the process my friend

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boy that is some hard digging. Nice keepers though.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ain't no telling what may come outta there. Neat finds.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a fun relic hunt! :occasion14:
Thanks PE
I'm always hoping for the best from the hunts that take place there.

Thanks Trapperart

Nice digs!! Congrats and HH
Thank You, and HH back also your way.

Looks like you're in the right spot for some early stuff buddy. Trust the process my friend

Thanks Abe

Been a busy and trying year up here with too much rain and not enough time at the site. I might do a couple sift test pits and see what transpires this coming weekend,

Boy that is some hard digging. Nice keepers though.

Thanks

Actually at this site the spade slides right in, if it was heavy clay this iron would be still laying in the ground I'll say that.

Ain't no telling what may come outta there. Neat finds.

Thanks sandchip

I've had some real nice surprises already, George Washington Button, Match safe (well one side), brass powder flask, tokens, and enough iron to keep a blacksmith happy.

Love that old iron. Nice assortment too! Congrats on the relic dig.

Thanks digger

Well you'd love this site then.

Wow lots of scrap their..

Thanks PP

I'm hoping to get what's lurking under the second layer.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some nice relics. I don't mind digging the iron, because there are usually some good finds mixed in with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions