One of my best hunts, sofar

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hello all,,,
I headed back out to the bottle dump I found awhile back and had a blast. I took my detector and was going to hunt around the woods some, but I just couldn't stay away from all the old glass at this site. There has to be a few truck loads of old broken bottles and dinner ware. The first big bottle is just a screwtop Listerine bottle that reads, " LISTERINE / LAMBERT / PHARMACAL COMPANY ", but it's in good shape and still has the lid, so I grabbed it. The second small bottle is a full bottle of fingernail polish, (dried up) and the small bottle beside it is an old cork top. The small compact case with the red plastic center still has all the powder (dried up), and the mirror is still intact. It was pretty heavy, so I was hoping it had a few gold coins in it when I opened it. :( The next item is also a small compact lid. Also found a few white glass containers, one with an almost new looking lid, and a few of the old porcelain canning lid tops. The metal object on the far right is an old salt, or pepper shaker which I have a larger picture of farther down the post.
index.php

The pic below shows an old bowl with some gold leaf on it. There are several of these laying around, but this is the only piece I saw with any kind of markings. Anyone recognize the mark? Maybe give me a estimate on adate? Also pictured is the salt, or pepper shaker, too bad it's not silver... :), but it's still a nice piece for one of my display cases...
index.php

The next item pictured is one that freaked me out and was totally unexpected. I guess us city boys ought to stay out of the woods... :) I seen a small loop shining in the sun, I thought it was the handle to an old jug or something, but when I grabbed it, it was solft. I immediately let it go. Probably a good thing because it was attached to a little 14" long snake... Any snake guys / ladies out here to give me an ID on this one... I think it's just a garden snake from what I looked up on the web, but the only thing I know about snakes is to stay away from them.
index.php

After finding the snake I couldn't even brush up against a tree limb without getting a chill running up my spine, so I called it quits and got out of Dodge... :) Talk about having the " Hebe Jebe's " <spellcheck... I have to tell ya, although I put my detector on the ground to dig through the bottle dump, this has to be one of the best hunts I have been on. In every scoop of the knife blade was a piece of glass that I wish wasn't broken. It was like taking a trip through time. I was there for about 2 hours and didn't even think about smoking a cigarette.

Although I didn't find too many keepers on this hunt I am definitely going back to dig around. I think this site has some real potential for a nice bottle find. I dug down to a depth of about two feet and was still pulling glass out of the ground. I'm hinking there has to be some older stuff below the surface...

The forum is really rock'n and I haven't had the time to keep up. I have looked at several post and it looks like a lot of ya's have been finding some great stuff, so...
Congrats to all,

Ooops,,,, here's a closeup of the snake. If anyone could give me a positive ID on it, I would greatly appreciate it...
index.php

Good luck & Happy hunting~
Leon

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: One of ny best hunts, sofar

L,

nice finds, nice hunt.
Love digging around those places.

Grab snake :P

Like you said, I would sure go back also.
Hope you dig up a bunch. Get down deep ;D

have a good un...........

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Kinda look's like a Copperhead.....Congrat's on the find's except the fanged one!!!

diadigger

Aug 1, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

The snake pic gave me CHILLS!
The day after April Fool's day, my husband spotted a snake in the living room! He was hoping it was joke. Talk about looking everywhere you step after that, every closet etc!!!!! My husband returned it to the pasture out back. :o

battlecat

Dec 23, 2004
moosic pa

I have to agree, looks like a copperhead to me to. Athough Im not used to these northern snakes yet.

J

james 101

thats awesome i plan on heading out to a bottle dump soon has it gets cooler out i want avoid snakes like that and pesty skeeters nice finds hh

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

markings dont look right for a copperhead, also it doesn't have vertical slit pupils that a copperhead would. I sometimes pick up snakes while metal detecting, but only if I recognize the type ;D

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Lots of interesting finds there, Leon. The bowl piece is unique. :)

Looks like a garter snake to me, Leon. When I was a kid, I used to round them up everyday and put them in my sandbox...and play with them. I was weird back then too! ::) Until one day...I smelled my hands after I played with them. Do you know how badly a snake smells?? Yuck!! :P I never played with them again. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

clump63

Mar 1, 2005
central Indiana

Hey Leon, not sure if you would find a copperhead this far up but I know for a fact that we do have the Indiana rattlers I always heard about as a kid. Came across one back in Dads woods a few years back. And it weren't happy.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Leon,

Very nice finds...excludes the snake.

;) RR

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Doesn't appear to be a posionous variety, would have to agree it's probably what we call a rat snake. Monty

oberkill

Aug 12, 2005

Nice finds! The snake's not a copperhead the color and the heads shape is wrong. I just caught one at my Dad's house last weekend and it was one of the most agressive snakes I have ever dealt with as well. That snake looks fairly docile and should be just a gardner snake. Have fun and watch out for the snakes!!! ;)

Alan

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri

Nice finds Leon.....about your snake, I'm not sure what type it is but with the great head shot, I can tell you it is not poisonous as it has round pupils. If you look at some internet pictures of a rattle snake, copperhead, cotton mouth, any poisonous snake you will see that they have slits for pupils instead of round pupils. The only bad thing is getting the eye to eye look to see what shape the pupils are.....lol. HH all.......gregd573

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Best post in a long time! Fantastic pictures (even the snake)! I'm with Dixie, it looks like a rat snake, round eyes, so it's not poison. Thanks for sharing.................

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.

LEON, Congrats On The Nice Haul, But You Can Keep The Snake, They Tend To Make Me Run Into Trees. trk5capt...

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Had a similar day today too.... Found gold and 2 rattlesnakes.

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006

It's not a copperhead. It's a common gartersnake. A lot of snakes flatten their head to scare off intruders. The same specie of gartersnake will have stripes running down their side. You found one with a checkerboard pattern

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:D OH my goodness Leon! :D You got me goin with that snake story! :D

Might want to wait a few more weeks before ya go back! :D

Those are some super finds! Glad ya found such a great site to hunt!

Nana :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread