One of my best

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
I was able to acquire one of my best axes last Thursday. I went and looked at the piece the previous Sunday and had to leave it there because the person wasn't ready to sell yet. However, as I waited impatiently I got the call on Tuesday that I was waiting for.

This is a classic slab style Keokuk axe made of a dense diorite with small green and yellow inclusions. The bit is in amazing condition especially for the amount of use wear this axe shows. It is near completely polished with a slight wear groove worn into the top side. It measures 6 1/2" long and weighs nearly four pounds.

This is truly a fantastic piece of pre-historic stonework. It's very rare to come across these kinds of pieces that haven't been in and out of collections for years. I can only trace it back about 40 years from a museum de-accessioning but I'm still working at it. In the mean time I'm really happy to cabinet it.

Hippy

IMG_2603.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_2599.jpg

IMG_2608.jpg

IMG_2609.jpg

Upvote 0
F

Felinepeachy

Hippy, that thing is GORGEOUS!! Congrats on acquiring it. :hello2:

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
What a fantastic artifact!...

Something wild tho....My Bro. in Mo. field found one very much like it.I will see If I can get him to post it.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful axe!! Great works manship!!!! Nice pics!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread