All Treasure Hunting
Cool find!!! :thumbsup:

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Naw the silver makes it worth more than face. I do know one way to get the date although you may not like it. You can scratch it out...yep that is right. I found a early walker in a bit better shape than this one but it was worn flat at the date. Interestingly someone had scratched at the date area with a paper clip or something but you can now make out the date. I guess it just depends on what you think is more valuable a coin with no date or a scratched up coin with a bareley readable date.

-Golden Silver

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
that would be a good coin to make a silver ring out of. the next one i find like that i am going to give it a try. i saw a thread on here about it last week i think.

seatedhalf

Dec 28, 2007
Parma MI
Detector(s) used
M6 and DFX and now a E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cmhoose-does it make me an old man at 42 because I carry a 1927-s walker in my pocket?? :(

I have carried it for many years now. My daughter wants it one day she said(when I am gone) It looks very much like the one you have shown.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find, I love silver in any form. As said, too bad it can't tell its tale.

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
I like to carry a silver dollar in my pocket, but I am more careful with it, and keep it in a plastic carry case. Shame some dont use a case, and that these great coins get worn so smooth. Either way, a walked is a walker, great find!

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
Nice one CMHOOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Haha, you told me about it but the pic is nice. Perhaps someday I'll find my first walker... ???

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
why don't you try and place a peice of paper over it and rub a pencil back and forth on top of the paper....sometimes the date shows on the paper

OP
OP
cmhoose

cmhoose

May 2, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Thanks all! Seatedhalf - no offense meant. I carry one myself. My wife made it into a keychain because it had a hole in it. I have carried it for around five years. I was just thinking that if this coin was minted in the teens, think of how long a person could have been carrying it! This could have been a lucky half in the pocket of an American soldier charging the beach at Normandy. ?? You never know. I just wonder how long a person would have to carry a silver half like this to wear it completely smooth?

mistergee said:
why don't you try and place a piece of paper over it and rub a pencil back and forth on top of the paper....sometimes the date shows on the paper

I tried your idea mistergee. Too smooth, no date. I have always wished someone would someday invent a product (such as nic-a-date) to be able to lift images worn smooth. I loved going through all my dateless Buffalo's and seeing the dates just pop up. Of course it kills most numismatic value, but at least you know the date. I have a few holes in my buffalo collection filled with nic-a-date buffs until I can afford a nicer coin.

HH
cmhoose

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinmojo said: