Only had time to hit 7 garage sales saturday..

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter had a high school Jazz competition last Saturday and only had time to hit 7 garage sales. The competition was about 30 miles away so I dropped her off at school and headed in that direction planning on hitting a few sales and then listening to them play at 9AM

The first place I hit had nothing but the 2nd was just opening up. It was a ladies club rummage sale and it was their second day, everything was half the marked price.

I immediately saw a big sign "JEWELRY" and headed that way. Lots of baskets of costume jewelry but it was in a dimly lit corner of the room. I found a few pieces marked 925 and a gold colored necklace that had some kind of marking but even with my magnifying glass I could not read it. I decided to take a gamble because it felt right and the color was good. I also remembered this table had been picked over all day Friday. It was marked $2 but was now 50% off.

I got home Saturday and checked the markings it was a very tiny 14K ;D ;D and it weighs 7.3gr :icon_sunny: I was happy, not to often I can trade $1 for $120!

Later, after a few more stops, it was getting close to performance time so at my last stop someone had at least 10 gold chains for sale. They had tags on them ranging from $20 to $80 I did not have time to talk to them about buying them and kicked myself in the caboose all day. This morning I tracked down their pennysaver.com listing from last week and emailed them to see if any were left.

By the way, my daughters jazz band got 1st place in their upper division. They are off to Seattle in a month or so for an even bigger competition.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan said:
...markings it was a very tiny 14K ;D ;D and it weighs 7.3gr :icon_sunny: I was happy, not to often I can trade $1 for $120!
Sad update! Last night I tested it on my electronic gold tester. Even though it is stamped 14K it only tested at 10K (can even trust the manufacturer) only worth $89 :-\

BUT, at the same sale I found a pendant that had some strange markings on the jump ring, just some numbers that did not make sense. It looked nice and the price was right .25¢ so I got that too. It tested at a high 18K and weighs 6.9 = $150

So really can't complain $1.25 = $239

So my advice look at every piece of junk jewelry. Both of these sat in that basket all day Friday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread