Only Subsistance Panning in Bradshaws ? T or F

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
What is "Subsistance" Panning ? Well it amounts to only finding enough gold every day to cover expenses. Since i don't use any gas operated equipment, that amounts to around $15 dollars a day for me. Last season i spent a couple of months at Lynx Creek near Prescott, AZ. While i was there, all i found was less than $15 dollars worth of gold a day. That was working 9 to 5 with a stream sluice. Pretty dissapointed, i inquired around and found no one else was doing any better. A veteran prospector, who's been on Rose Creek for five years told me there's no point trying anywhere else. "It's about the same, all over the Bradshaws" (His words). Several other panners agreed with this dismal appraisal. I'm wondering if a return trip to the area this season is even worth doing. I know some spectacular nuggets have been found occassionally in the Bradshaws, but these are rare and infrequent incidents (as near as i can tell). The average gold take for the Bradshaws doesn't look very impressive so far. What do you think ?

Upvote 0

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am curious. Exactly how would they determine WHAT your daily expenses are?
What if they change?
What if you can keep affording a bigger and bigger operation?
Or, what if your "subsistence" is flying a helicopter in and eating lobster three times a day?

That just sounds silly to me that they would do something like that...

then again, no regulation,no matter how ridiculous surprises me anymore.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Bradshaws is a big range with lots of great gold.Lynx is pounded hard as any public place is.As far as my gold and the ranger is concerned I always practice catch and release.If you are in the public panning area and get caught with a sluice it will turn into a bad day fast.

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Bradshaws is a big range with lots of great gold.Lynx is pounded hard as any public place is.As far as my gold and the ranger is concerned I always practice catch and release.

hey, just like metal detecting...What they don't see doesn't exist...

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hey, just like metal detecting...What they don't see doesn't exist...

I have used a mini sluice there just kept the whole thing covered with a pile of rocks.I have even dredged there but that was back when it was alowed around 77-78.I got my first taste of gold fever there.Now I drive 3.5 hrs each way just hoping I might find some dust.The gold just is not the same in Oklahoma.I pulled a lot of gold off the south side of the Bradshaws.

goldfinder

Mar 31, 2003
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been all over the state of AZ and finding the big nugs or even pickers is few and far between and I mean far. That is why I am pulled in the direction of metal detecting, dowsing, and LRLs. All the guys I know think finding a spec of the Au is a good day. If you expect to get rich or even pay expenses your going to have to find some areas that aren't beat to death with guys with sluices.
Goldfinder

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is an old saying:

The prospectors who say they are doing well are only just getting by
And those who say they are just getting by aren't even!
Those actually doing well have the sense to keep quiet! ( and probably will stay that way even here on tnet!)

Here in metro Denver, I can do $5 an hour with a good sluice. About half my gold (by weight) is -50 mesh so you HAVE to be good at catching fine gold here! Also, my most productive spot is nowhere near the well known areas in Metro Denver....lesson learned: you have to get out there sampling and exploring away from the beaten path to get the good gold :D even here in the city.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Bradshaw Mountains have many, many areas that can only be hiked into, or dropped in by helicopter. About 99-percent of "gold prospectors" that go into the Bradshaw's never get more than 100-meters from the vehicle that they drove in. Don't believe everything you are told by "gold prospectors" at Lynx Creek. LMAO..

OP
OP
T

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
I'm real careful where i use a sluice. There's a small piece of private land between Stoneridge Rd. and Faine Park on Rose Creek where using a sluice is allowed. I just referenced nearby Lynx Creek because most people are more familiar with that location. Both areas are pretty much pounded though. Looks like i'm gonna be doing some bushwhacking in the Bradshaws this season. No problem there, i'm an experienced outdoorsman. Walked and tubed down the San Francisco River from NM border to Safford Az just for fun. Took about three weeks. So i guess a little more walkin won't kill me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread