Oohhh Deer

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Me and my boy stayed in the stand (opening day) till about 9 then we walked back to the house, going around through the woods. About 30 yds from the house this spike jumped up and ran through the woods and stoped, I aimed but my Neighboors barn was Behind it about 100 yds, so I couldent risk the shot, He ran again and stoped just into a big enough clearing to get a shot about 20 yds away. Fell straight down when I hit him. I'd just as soon get a spike than a Big horned dear (unless it was monster of course).
Gonna have deer meat this yr WWOOHHOO!

Attachments

• 100_0644.JPG
    100_0644.JPG
    362.5 KB · Views: 770

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Young deer, should make for good eating. My brother harvested a scrubby 8 point earlier this season that helped get some much appreciated food into the freezer. :thumbsup:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Very cool TC!! I miss having game in the freezer and that is gonna make some mighty nice eating for sure. Good to see your smiling face again too!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The deer out here (CA) have to be, at least, forked on one side, can't shoot spikes. Should be good eating. I haven't deer hunted for a few years but, this year, I hope to put some ducks and geese in the freezer.

OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Cant shot spikes ? thats backwards, I doubt this deer would have gotten any bigger in Horn or body size, and then been passing on bad genetics, There were 5 Hanging at the butcher when I took this in and only one was much bigger than mine In body size, and it was a nice 8 pt, The others had decent racks but werent any bigger than mine.
Iv never been Duck hunting but I bet thats an excting hunt

OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Heres my twin but slightly younger Hunting buddy.

Attachments

• 100_0647.JPG
    100_0647.JPG
    272.6 KB · Views: 750

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
oy! Your twin is even better lookin than you TC! lol What a fine looking young man you have there. Lots of great memories are in the making!

Wicked Wanda

Feb 29, 2008
Apple Valley, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Ace 250 , & Pro Pointer
YUMM YUM FOR THE TUMM TUM!!! Way to go JC, hope that you and your family enjoys what the good lord has provided. Would much rather eat that deer than the hamburger that the govt. allows to be pumped full of hormones to get it to the market quicker.

Back strap, eggs and homemade biscuits.....YUM!!!!

OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
I will remember his Sacrife fondly, My family thanked god for that this very eve. I will hang his horns on my wall to remind me of that sacrifice.
Im sorry if the Blood picture was alittle over the edge but my Boys smile over ruled it.
We took the Deer to greens sausage house today where it will be properly processed by proffesionals, and we had a nice beef dinner to celebrate the deers life.

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
You are right; you can't eat horns. Man has survived on hunting since men looked like me. Obama has not the power to take our guns; if he tries, if he wins, he'll be a one term Prez. The government can't control us or an enemy hold us, as long as we are armed. The Fore Fathers and Supreme Court agrees. Deer are seriously overpopulated here in Ga. The season has been changed to try to amend this problem before there is a die out from a plague.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mmmmm, fresh venison...my favorite is the backstrap. I can cook up a "died and gone to Heaven roast", and I love smoked deer sausage too.

:wink: RR

dirt diva

Jul 4, 2008
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
CZ 7 pro quick silver CZ 70 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mcgearhead said:
RiverRat,
I just got done eating a roast !
Too funny !

Yes too funny! Just had dinner with Joe Hamilton,founder of QDMA(Quality Deer Management Association )
We had Dove breast wrapped in bacon,and marinated Back Strap on the grill.Melt in your mouth. :notworthy:

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep good eating there I just fried up the last of the backstrap from last year myself and its time to go out again.
I think its a very nice deer and your right it would of never got any better than it is now point wise it was a good one to cull.

As far as being cruel its what put food on the table for many generations before. That's until they started running cattle into a very small shoot that traps its head and drives a spike into its skull while its kicking and screaming for a bit yum yum McDonald's all beef patty millions a day served.

I don't hold it against people who don't hunt, fish, etc, that's your choice and its your right just as I have a right to hunt. I have seen deer so over populated they starve, and what a pitiful site that is. In the hill country the deer population has gotten out of hand. Those kind gentle souls that once thought it was so cute to see the little deer in their yard, now puts poison out for them because they have done so much damage, not to mention the dozen wrecks a day caused by the animals. I'm not saying that everyone should shoulder a rifle and hunt, but its a necessary part of life, and its quite tasty and better for you then some injected slab of beef you get out of the grocery store. Also for those ranchers who raise deer, and breed them up, they make a lot more money at sometimes over 10k a deer than you would ever make off a cow its a livelyhood just the same as the rancher who raises cattle.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Congrats TC. Used to when I had the time, would designate one for burger, one for steaks and roasts, and one for jerky.
Went out detecting today, saw one doe that was killed on the highway. By the time I got back into the area on way home, saw a 2nd one about 75 yards away...same thing.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ohhh I forgot about the Jerkey Stoney, my dad had an old oven he kept outdoors, and he would slice it in thin strips soak the meat and then cook it on super low heat, it would take like 3 days but was the best. Then he would hang the dried meat in onion bags in the cabinet. Every time I would pass I would grab a handfull. Maybe this year we will get lucky.

Jdubya

May 19, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PETA; People Eating Tasty Animals. There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the potatoes and gravy!

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
We have to harvest the Deer! Otherwise they would overpopulate and wipe each other out. Also they are a huge risk here in MO where Deer/Car collisions are happening at an increased rate every year. The deer population is getting so large in some cities that they are considering allowing hunting with a bow to a select few to help thin out the population.

Now I'm not sure I like that idea but every night when I am driving home I come across 6-10 deer crossing the road. They cause a lot of accidents too.

Sorry if you don't like to hunt and kill animals that is your business just don't try and take it away from those that do. And NO I don't hunt. Never have and probably never will.

Nice deer TC.

OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whitail deer are credited as the the wild animal that causes the most property damage and kill the most people in the USA.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TEXAN Connection said:
Whitail deer are credited as the the wild animal that causes the most property damage and kill the most people in the USA.
KILL IT AND GRILL IT :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread