Oops, I did it again (x2)!! Aka silver streak day 6

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Sorry kids. No Britney pics in this thread (I'm WAAAY hotter than she is anyway :tongue3: :laughing9: ). Got out 'n about yesterday on a breezy, beautiful Friday. Started out slowly, digging a few mem cents @ 6" >:( . Finally decided to hit the woods for a bit and work some river overflow/ washout areas. First signal was a BANGER 12-46 @ 6". I'm thinking "WOOHOO! Silver quarter!" 'Twas not to be. Turned out to be a near mint condition Cracker Jack mystery club presidential token (William H. Taft). Next came another surprise, an '06 Barber dime only about an inch and a half deep!! I nailed it nicely >:( and was glad there were no little kids around, as I began a string of expletives that would've put a drunken sailor to shame. Also snagged a beautiful, intact pocket watch that might be silver (has a tiny nick on the back from the tip of my Lesche, a sharp rock, or a piece of broken glass). Initials on the back look like p.c. or s.c. :dontknow: . Right before leaving, dug a well worn '17 merc that had definitely seen better days, AND NAILED IT AS WELL!! That's 2 silvers and I nailed 'em both. Thank goodness they're both really worn and aren't key/semi key dates (they are both headed for the bullion pile). In addition to the aforementioned goodies, I also dug 6 fried wheaties, and just under a buck in clad.

Yesterdays totals: 2 silver dimes ('06 Barber, '17 merc); 6 toasted wheats (not pictured; '19(x2), '2?, '4?d, '46d, '57d); Cracker Jack mystery club presidential coin (William H. Taft); beautiful, intact pocket watch; and just under $1 in clad (not pictured).

Pics below. Enjoy!! Yeah, I know I gotta improve my digging technique.....also, I am considering looking into having the pocket watch restored if it won't be too expensive. If anyone knows a place that does that, lemme know. Thanks.

Attachments

• Picture 547.jpg
    Picture 547.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 679
  • Picture 548.jpg
    Picture 548.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 744
  • Picture 549.jpg
    Picture 549.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 755
  • Picture 550.jpg
    Picture 550.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 771
  • Picture 551.jpg
    Picture 551.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 823
  • Picture 552.jpg
    Picture 552.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 877
  • Picture 553.jpg
    Picture 553.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 870

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Definitely a beautiful watch case Paul. It'd probably be the only thing that survives the "restoration" process. We still have some second and third generation watch workers (post Elgin production) in this town but they don't come cheap.

I had one of my better watch finds restored and the folks put an original antique movement in it that matched the original year of production. Came out great and it made a great present for one of my watch collector friends at the time.

Got a lot of home time today, gotta re-spring the garage door so I'll try to look up someone local for you if you're interested.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep the streak going...
I haven't kept track of mine this year but it's at least 15 or 20

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful watch :thumbsup:

Check the watch's inside case back to see if it says the magic word. . . STERLING :o

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you must have been blinded by all the silver you have found lately, congrats!

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That pocket watch is an AWESOME find Paul.
Work on you recovery tech. before you nail a
16d Merc or an 1877 I.H..

OP
OP
C

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Pocket Spill said:
Great finds Paul. Did you keep the streak alive on Saturday?

Hi Pat. No. Streak is over at 6. Saturday WAS NOT a good day (I had a feeling I should've stayed home). NO SILVER. Just a few wheats and clad. :( :-\ .

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
scrounger d detector collector said:
u have impaled them dimes. WTG

That is right. Perhaps the first step in better digging technique is to change your online name?

I had my worst problems gouging coins when I first started using my 15x12 super big coil. It pinpoints fairly ambiguously. Maybe you need to slow down just a little more when you are pinpointing to make sure you are right. Also, when I cut a plug, it's only slightly angled in (close to straight down) and when I pry up, it try to pry the plug up, so that the digger isn't pushing deep into the plug. I know on long hunts and after digging a lot of junk its easy to get careless and jump the gun, but when you have a good signal just think slow down and act like you've been there before, which you have 60 some times this year...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions