Oops! Old enough to know better… ?

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Rainy, cold day and bad lower back pain this morning. Decided to work on my whittling. I make a bunch of these and give them out at doctor’s office, church, grocer, etc. to people who either need a pick me up or who I feel deserve a thank you. I was reducing the hat on the left one. I could tell the knife blade was getting dull (still very sharp! But dull for whittling). Decided to do just a little more, before stopping. Well, I put the blade deeply into my right index finger (I’m a lefty).
Blood everywhere! I am trying to learn flint knapping. This may slow me down for a few days. Bottom line: don’t cut corners.

Attachments

• IMG_2269.jpeg
    IMG_2269.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 44

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one. Sorry about the finger. I hope if heals up fast. If it's any comfort, the carvings look really nice!

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Sometimes a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one. Sorry about the finger. I hope if heals up fast. If it's any comfort, the carvings look really nice!
Thank you. I love giving them away. Such a simple thing, but people like presents. It’s not much, but I enjoy the feeling.

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
Rainy, cold day and bad lower back pain this morning. Decided to work on my whittling. I make a bunch of these and give them out at doctor’s office, church, grocer, etc. to people who either need a pick me up or who I feel deserve a thank you. I was reducing the hat on the left one. I could tell the knife blade was getting dull (still very sharp! But dull for whittling). Decided to do just a little more, before stopping. Well, I put the blade deeply into my right index finger (I’m a lefty).
Blood everywhere! I am trying to learn flint knapping. This may slow me down for a few days. Bottom line: don’t cut corners.
Lower back pain, you're preaching to the choir.

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
Sorry for the accident BF. Hope you recover well. However, those carvings are great!!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swear, lefties (like myself) are way more accident prone than righties! I cut myself so often that my girlfriend looks away whenever I'm holding anything sharp! She knows the odds are 50/50 that I'll cut myself. I do it so often that I just laugh it off now. I also like to annoy her by running in the house whenever I slice myself on a utility knife or razor blade! I make it look worse by squeezing the wound and bleeding onto a paper towel for a minute or two! Freaks her out every time!

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Carving wood with a blade can be dangerous. I switched to a dremel when I started carving for that reason.
I do a lot of my whittling while out in the timber. I need to wear my kevlar glove on the “holding” hand.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carving wood with a blade can be dangerous. I switched to a dremel when I started carving for that reason.
Yep I bought a set of carving tools and a Dremel also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread