Opening a case

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
How long do you give the buyer to pay? Two weeks ago I had a buyer not pay and not contact me. She had 100%. I sent her an invoice, and I messaged her. Finally after a week of no payment and no contact, I opened a case. I got my fees back this past week. Well, this weekend another person bought something, no payment, no contact. She has 40 transactions, but 0% feedback! I opened a case today.

So how long do you give a buyer?

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I have my account set up so that ebay automatically opens a case 4 days after the sale. If someone contacts me & needs more time I can turn that off for individual items without affecting the rest.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm learning!!! Thanks for bringing up this subject.

Thus far I've only been buying, with a later intent of selling. Normally if I'm watching the action I pay immediately, otherwise certainly within 24 hrs. On some sales I do see a note that states a 3 day payment limit.

Mug, do you have that kind of note on your sales items?

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I took it out a while ago because no one was more than 24 hours in paying. Like I said, I've always been real patient when they ask for a little more time. I had one lady who asked for like two or three weeks. What do I care? She paid. She wrote me several times saying she was going to pay.
I may put it back in. I did learn from here that you should put immediate payment for buy it now. Except that Ebay keeps telling me to take it out. LOL.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
As soon as ebay's countdown clock allows you to open an unpaid dispute, do it.

Why wait?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have my account set up so that ebay automatically opens a case 4 days after the sale. If someone contacts me & needs more time I can turn that off for individual items without affecting the rest.

I used to do it manually. However the last couple weeks I've had people not paying so I just switched it over to automatically do this. It's crazy I hate when they don't pay! I just had one where somebody made an offer on a bracelet a gold one. But then he made the same offer on another one but I countered him and he did not want the other one for the higher price but he doesn't want to pay for the other one now either, like I offended him or something.

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wait 3 days. One notice of auction won, one reminder and then non paying bidder complaint filed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 days after auction end (or BIN) is the minimum time allowed before you can open a case for an unpaid item. I used to have my seller preferences set to automatically open a case after those 4 days but I changed it recently so now I do it manually. However, I do have this disclaimer at the bottom of each item I list-

Payment is expected within 4 days of auction close unless other arrangements have been made. If payment has not been received and there has been no communication from you, the item will be re listed.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What to do when a buyer doesn't pay

You only have to wait 48 hours to open a case. I put in all my listings 48 hours. My listings usually end around 8-9pm, so at the 48ish hour mark I send an additional reminder to the buyer that "its probably just an oversight, but I still havent received payment for my item." I also remind them of the 48 hour policy. If by noon on day 3 these is no payment or communication I open the case.

BTW 85% of buyers pay immediately, 10% within 24 hrs, its the 5% that drag things out.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What to do when a buyer doesn't pay

You only have to wait 48 hours to open a case. I put in all my listings 48 hours. My listings usually end around 8-9pm, so at the 48ish hour mark I send an additional reminder to the buyer that "its probably just an oversight, but I still havent received payment for my item." I also remind them of the 48 hour policy. 85% of buyers pay immediately, 10% within 24 hrs, its the 5% that drag things out.
Good, they changed it to 2 days. I was unaware of that. Thanks for the information.

edit- I see they changed it in April 2013 in the Spring seller update.Tells you how many non paying buyers I deal with. -http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2013/unpaiditems.html

Beginning in April, if you do end up with an unpaid item, we’re shortening the time it takes to open a case by 2 full days so you can get that item back up for sale.

Last edited:

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I admit I am one of the percent that doesn't pay right away, I use a sniping service and sometimes forget that I bid on something and won. That being said, I always pay and send an apologetic note if it's been a day or so, and as a seller I am pretty ruthless when it comes to re-listing unpaid items. Unless someone lets me know what is going on, that item is going back up as soon as possible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions