opening a CZ-7s case... dos and donts

findstuf

Mar 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-7
opening a CZ-7's case... do's and don'ts

opening a CZ-7's case... do's and don'ts

I didn't open it yet, but my CZ-7 was acting wonky today. I would get signals not get them... there would be no sound but readings on the screen... then it would have sounds.... just a bunch of random wonky-ness. I put new batteries in it last week, so I guess they are okay. I take the batteries out when not in use.

Is it a bad idea to open the case? just checking before hand. I'm not sure if there is something to look out for or not. I am somewhat familiar with circuits, I just don't know if there was/is a warranty booby trap sticker on the inside. :tard: Basically, I just wanted to dust off the circuit board and wiggle the headphone jack.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Re: opening a CZ-7's case... do's and don'ts

Findstuf, skypilot here! I have disassembled several CZ models, and the CZ7, as are the others I've taken apart, are VERY much sealed with a silicon sealer, and I'll say, they are a real pain to clean and reseal! Not to metion that you'll have to pry the pushbutton panel off the face, then unplug it, and after all that hassle, you'll pry on the case 'till you think there are more screws hidden somewhere, although the four in the bottom are the only ones, and if you somehow bend or distort the Bergquist front switch panel, lookout! I personally wouldn't advise it, as the case is dust and rainproof, so the circuit boards are more than likely clean. Now, that faceplate pushbutton Bergquist panel I am referring to, has a bad habit of failing, especially if left in hot environs for long. I would try to take off the knob on the switch for on/off/ground balance, and then put just a little electronics oil, non conductive, around the stem, so it will soak into the switch itself, as that is generally the trouble with "falsing" and erratic behavior on CZ's, IF the push buttons work correctly. You can pick up a small tube of the oil I am speaking of at Radio Shack for just a few bucks. If all else fails and you feel it needs repaired, Kieth Wills at brokendetectors.com is a super person, and does great work at a reasonable fee. Hopefully, it won't come to that! Hope this helps! Great hunting and good luck! Let me know if I can help! Regards, Richard

OP
OP
F

findstuf

Mar 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-7

thanks, I'll try the electronics oil.

OP
OP
F

findstuf

Mar 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-7

well, It seems like everything is working fine. I spent a few hours in the yard digging up every signal. It picked up a tiny broken Christmas tree light about 2 feet down, so I guess it works? :icon_scratch:

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used

Good going, 'stuf!!! Sounds like the oil may have done job! Maybe it was just a bit of dust, or condensation, that slipped past the o ring on the stem! Whatever it was, as long as it is working well, and it sounds as though it is, great! :thumbsup: Anytime you have a question, or problem, by all means, post it on T-Net, and with all the folks here, there is someone who'll be able to help, and more than likely, a LOT of folks willing to help, this is the greatest place I've seen, as far as knowledge and helpfullness go! Great hunting and good luck!! Regards, Richard

OP
OP
F

findstuf

Mar 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-7

Thanks, I'm a little rusty with the cz-7. I've used a Schonstedt ga52cx at work for about 20 years. It only works on iron and it only makes one tone.... I guess the cz-7 confuses me with all the tones and adjustments.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used

Heck, 'stuf, sounds to me like you are off and running with the CZ! I have to go right now, but if you'd like, maybe I can give a few hints to help some. Let me know if you think it would be helpful, and I'll reply when I return. Regards, Richard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread