Opinion on old detector

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Found my dad's old detector today in our attic. I think he bought it somewhere around 1970. The info on the labels: Curt Fisher Underground Explorations, Box 793, Menlo Park, Calif. .... Metrotech Inc, Mt. View, Calif.... Model #220/69/906?? Last numbers are scratched off.

The headset is crap, but likely is easily replaceable. Generally the detector looks in good condition.

My question: Is this a collectors item or just an old piece of junk?

M

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything is collectable to the right person and someone would want it for their collection. As a hunting detector however it is not up to todays standards.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a Metrotech, not a Fisher. About 45 years ago some Fisher people left Fisher to form their own company, Metrotech. I am guessing from the information you provided that one of those people was one of Gerhart Fisher's sons. Not long after Metrotech was founded, they decided to get out of the consumer market and concentrate on the industrial stuff, where they have done quite well.

The last time I checked they had industrial valve & box locators that resembled 1970's era consumer metal detectors. If you check with Metrotech it's possible they're familiar with your unit and may be interested in buying it as a museum piece; or, if you want it repaired it's possible that it's close enough to their present valve & box locators that they would be able to repair it.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
Moonrover

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Dave J ... Thanks for the lead. Just Googled "Metrotech" and found they exist as Vivax-Metrotech.

http://www.vivax-metrotech.com/

Their current stuff looks very expensive. They have come a long way since my dad's old detector was manufactured.

M

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes that Vm 550 or VM 560 looks like they would make good pin pointers........Yes and they do look like they do make some expensive detectors......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread