Rehash tips for old goldbug please

douglas nc

Greenie
May 7, 2006
pleasant garden,n.c.
Detector(s) used
whites mxt,garrett gtax 400,bulls eye pin pointer
Hi everyone, I just bought an old goldbug and woundered if anyone could offer any tips on tunning and serching with it in hot rock area's.I'm in North Carolina and live near old gold mining district in Montgomery County. Read manual several times on ground balancing and I feel I got that down, yet I can hardly hear the signal change when i scan my vial of gold flakes and a tiny picker...Could my machine need servicing or am I tuning it wrong?It finds lots of trash and hot rocks though..Thanks everyone in advance..Doug

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
douglas nc

douglas nc

Greenie
May 7, 2006
pleasant garden,n.c.
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the reply Sandman...Will check the coil cover and watch the field test video.Read somewhere(maybe here) to groung balance over an area hot rock to help hear area nugget's better. Doe's that make sense to you.Thought I'd try it next time I'm there to see..Thanks again for the tip.Need all the advise I can get as this is my first attempt at nugget shooting,and this is considered by most to be an outdated gold machine..

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't tune to a hot rock. Find an area of dirt that gives NO beeps. If you can't find an area large enough for the test, MAKE one by cleaning out ALL items that cause a signal. With the coil up in the air, tune the threshold to just hear it (no warbly sound). Go back to the ground. Pump the coil up and down about 4 to 6 inches up off the ground.. to the ground. Using the small (inside) balance knob, while pumping, change it till you get the least amount of change in tone. Then, using the larger (outside) knob, fine tune the noise to its lowest change. Hopefully, no change will be heard. NOW, with the gold on the ground (not in hand) sweep past the vial about one inch above it. You should be able to get a faint tone change (up higher in db). Using this method, I have been able to get a response from a small picker weighing just .04 gram. You will too. I was able to hear the target (.04 gram) at exactly 2 inches deep. You will too. In the field, I have found iron trash that was less than 1/4 of a staple. That is SMALL! My machine is the Gold Bug 2. Take care. TTC

Last edited:
OP
OP
douglas nc

douglas nc

Greenie
May 7, 2006
pleasant garden,n.c.
Detector(s) used
Hi Terry, Thanks for you'r advise.Will try what you said.I'm really green at this.Great plase to get help and insight, and I appreciate all of it! Oh, AND WE ALL APPRECIATE YOU'R SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Terry, Thanks for you'r advise.Will try what you said.I'm really green at this.Great plase to get help and insight, and I appreciate all of it! Oh, AND WE ALL APPRECIATE YOU'R SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY!
Tnx for the "pat on the back". SEVERAL here on Tnet will help. If you can separate the obvious brand bias and egos (such as mine) you will learn much! Also a HEARTFELT thank you for acknowledging my service time! I got my first thank you for my service during Vietnam in '93! At the WALL from a fellow who was not yet born when I served! Now, the TY's from Tnetters are coming in so fast, I have lost count! I wish it was so "back then". Tnx agn, my friend. Terry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions