OPINION/POLL Real vs Fake Finds?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do you believe is the correct ratio of pictures of actual dug finds posted in online forums -vs- "jewelry store," or faked finds?

A) 99-percent of all posts are actual finds
B) 80-percent of all posts are actual finds
C) 60- percent of all posts are actual finds
D) 50- percent of all posts are actual finds

What is the main motivation for sharing real finds?

What is the main motivation for faking finds?

I am asking these questions because of personal experiences in gold prospecting, where people actually posted pictures of nuggets I had sold in the past, as nuggets they "found" in the desert, or even Alaska. This appears to have happened just recently with a gold nugget sold as a California specimen, when it may have come from Australia. Seems to me, the same shennannigans could be happening on this end of the hobby - hence my questions. Looking forward to your opinions!

Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I would think A. But there may be some fools out there that need some kind of ego boost.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
stevemc said:
I would think A. But there may be some fools out there that need some kind of ego boost.

Thank's for the response Steve! I feel pretty much like this, that 99-percent of these posts are the real McCoy! What bothers me, is that very small percentage that DO post fake finds and their motavations. Plus, it is not always who you would expect! Thanks for taking part in the discussion!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think most are real finds, but I think sometimes people show 3 or 4 days hunts and say it was one hunt. Some finds are hard to believe, but if you have been detecting for awhile, you know that anything is possible. I take it all with a grain of salt, but I think 99 percent are real. At least I hope so.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmm.

Never really gave this one much thought, though I know it happens.

Maybe we're gullible, but I'd go with "A" also.

If some people do fake their finds just because they need an ego boost, well, no harm done I guess. :)

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is human nature to want to show everyone what you found and get a "atta boy" Some however feel the extra need to get the "atta boy" so they post pics of fakes. I know a guy in a club that shows me this nice ring he says he just found "last week" but he's show it to me many times. I gosh and by golly at it and tell him how lucky he is as this makes him feel better I hope. He probably thinks I am a dump azz cause I didn't recognize it. I think it only does real harm when manufactures print pics in their advertising telling us all this gold was found with XXX detector.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Any time there is good money to be made, you will have all kinds of people who want to somehow get in on it. The finds (modern jewelry) that are found on the beach, are only worth what you can get for them, which is less than they could be bought for, I would assume. I have been with people who have found 3, 4, and even 5 gold rings and several silver rings in an 8 hour period. Several times, and at beaches that are hit hard. They work hard, got out farther or get in the zone, hit them at the right tide and wind, have the right equipment, know what they are doing, and it shows. I could see someone that bought that big nugget from Austrialia, and now when the gold price went way up, saw a way to make a lot of money off it. It has gotten crazy, just like the house thing 6 years ago. People were really buying and selling, but you could see it was all blown out of reality, and sometime it would end. And it did. Buy low, sell high. Hard thing to do honestly right now.

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
I would have to say "A" also. Myself I wouldn't get any pleasure by posting some of my wifes rings or necklaces.To me it's lik stealing some one elses work or ideas. I don't post because I haven't found nothing really to post about except for a little silver charm I found a couple days ago and some junk rings lol. When I do raid my wifes I mean find a nice gold ring I'll be sure to post lol. Like sandman had said we all look for an atta boy/girl but some go about it the wrong way.
My 2 scoops
drewan

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
I found a $20 bill in my yard one day...... Of course I dropped it the day before. So I guess I technically found it on my own property, but since it was mine before I found it I am not sure I could claim I was $20 richer...... The guy who "found" the gold nugget, may have technically found it, but then again, he may have put it where he found it, surprise, surprise. Just my thoughts.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! :icon_thumleft: Great discussion :headbang: You guys are bringing up some good points :hello2: Changing the provenance of that "California" gold nugget made it twice as valuable to the collector - who may have bought a lie. I've often wondered if the same thing doesn't happen with people trying to sell books and DVD's to would be treasure hunters - "Look at these gold and ruby rings I found on the beach," when they weren't. I know high end metal detector dealers that routinely salt $100- $200 gold nuggets for their clients to "discover" with the new $5,400.00 detector and accessory package they just bought from them. Just business? Then they take pictures of these guys holding up that nugget in front of that XXXXXXX detector and paste it all over their sales material. Just business?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
simple put --some folks are greedy and will do ANYTHING it takes to get the money --lie, cheat or steal --so long as its not hard work!!! --MOST FOLKS ARE BASICALLY HONEST --some are "attention needy' folks ---sadly they suffer from the --look at me -- pay me some attention , please sydrome-- often they post things to get folks to "praise them' or feed their ego's. --maybe mommy or daddy did not give them enough attention as a child --who knows?

the really sad part is they really only fool themselves -- since self worth comes from "inside' not from what others think of you. ---if you let others "control" what you think your worth --your making a huge mistake *-- you are a human being --equal in all basic respects to every other human being on the planet --some folks have more --whatever-- than the others -- fill in the blank --be it better looks, money. brains or what have you --but that does not make you "more or less" of a human being --just a human being with --whatever--we all die the same --rich poor--old young--big small --smart dumb -- so in someways --we are all exactly the same --no matter what we "got" or don't have.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Terry,
Right now in my area of FL people will buy anything with the word "gold" associated with it, metal detectors probably being the biggest seller because of all of what they see on the internet, forums, Youtube etc. Whether the finds are real or not, doesn't make any difference at this point, the damage is done, more hunters than many of the beaches can support. Heck for all I know these gold posts could be made by Travel Agents, seems everybody wants to come to FL on vacation and go metal detecting. There was a guy in this area a few years ago that paid over a $1,000. for a water machine. After a couple of months of not finding anything and his wife getting a little upset, he went to a pawn shop and bought an unpolished ring to take home and show his wife he found something. I never saw him again after that season. Was he honest....no, did it save his marriage....maybe.

About the books, I have been hunting 16 years and I buy them, not because of pictures of gold, I like to read and learn maybe a new idea, or refresh one that I haven't used for a long time. If nothing else I find them as enjoyable as the forums. As for my pictures...you won't see any posted...I never find anything.

Chuck

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Terry,

I'd say "A" only because I would have a moral issue with posting a false item that I bought as something I found. What is the benefit of doing that??? Ego, I guess.

I read about that "CA" nugget possibly being from Australia. Sounds like a personal gain ($$) thing to me.

You should post this survey on the GPS site!

Good luck finding that "beach gold" you are after!

k

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can Slaw said:
About the books, I have been hunting 16 years and I buy them, not because of pictures of gold, I like to read and learn maybe a new idea, or refresh one that I haven't used for a long time. If nothing else I find them as enjoyable as the forums. As for my pictures...you won't see any posted...I never find anything.

Chuck

Chuck, don't let it get you down. I am dead serious when I say I spent well over six months beach hunting using a quality beach detector and didn't find a single piece of gold or silver. The best hit I got was a Tungsten Carbide man's ring.

Even clad was hard to come by.

And I dug TONS of trash (used a PI machine). All I got out of it all was some fresh air and great exercise.

I stopped going to the beach when they started charging for parking, but I'm going back again because the itch has returned.

You know the funniest part? In the last six months I have found three gold rings using a Tesoro Compadre and all at inland sites. Two were in parks and one was at a swap meet field.

Go figure. :icon_scratch:

But don't give up Chuck. It's going to happen for you. And man, it is awfully sweet when it does! :icon_thumleft:

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the people in our hobby will post what they actually find that day or week just like most will return a find if they know who it belongs to. Yes, there are a few that are dishonest but I do believe it is a tiny percentage.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Smudge said:
Can Slaw said:

Chuck

Chuck, don't let it get you down. I am dead serious when I say I spent well over six months beach hunting using a quality beach detector and didn't find a single piece of gold or silver. The best hit I got was a Tungsten Carbide man's ring.

But don't give up Chuck. It's going to happen for you. And man, it is awfully sweet when it does! :icon_thumleft:

Thank you for the kind wishes, but that statement was tongue in cheek. When I find anything the only person that ever hears about it is my wife. I have had a couple of VERY BAD experiences by letting the wrong person(s) know what I found. Now, if anybody asks, "I haven't found anything."

Lou from downunder

Mar 16, 2009
Hi Terry,

I too would say mostly A.

However there are some who do make outrageous claims regarding there own and others finds.

Some may remember my little war of words a while back with a certain individual who made ridiculous claims of " three ounce gold chains, one carat diamond rings" etc as common finds.

As an aspiring professional writer some may forgive him his exuberance.... but I prefer to deal in facts.

Lou.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just want to say WOW! :thumbsup: and Thank You! :notworthy: :hello2: to all of you that have taken the time to respond so honestly to my questions. I think this is a VERY interesting discussion, and it is Fantastic that we have a place like TreasureNet, to do it! In the 1970s, us old Garrett BFO owners had to drive for miles and hours for a MONTHLY meeting in order to lie to one another and compare our finds. Now, it is just a click away! Life is Good! :headbang: :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread