OPINION/POLL Real vs Fake Finds?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do you believe is the correct ratio of pictures of actual dug finds posted in online forums -vs- "jewelry store," or faked finds?

A) 99-percent of all posts are actual finds
B) 80-percent of all posts are actual finds
C) 60- percent of all posts are actual finds
D) 50- percent of all posts are actual finds

What is the main motivation for sharing real finds?

What is the main motivation for faking finds?

I am asking these questions because of personal experiences in gold prospecting, where people actually posted pictures of nuggets I had sold in the past, as nuggets they "found" in the desert, or even Alaska. This appears to have happened just recently with a gold nugget sold as a California specimen, when it may have come from Australia. Seems to me, the same shennannigans could be happening on this end of the hobby - hence my questions. Looking forward to your opinions!

Upvote 0

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
Smudge said:
My first year in this hobby I mostly beach hunted and didn't find squat.

No joke, it was embarassing. :dontknow:

This year I started land hunting and in six months I've found three gold rings (and not a single silver one yet, go figure).

Is that lucky streak going to last? I doubt it.

But I am willing to dig a lot of trash in the process, so maybe that's part of the payoff. ;D

I just could never feel the need to "fake" a find.

Sometimes I like to post my boring, lackluster finds, just to remind everyone and myself that most hunts bring you run-of-the-mill stuff.

And nothing can match the excitement for me of digging into the ground, not sure of what I'm going to bring up.

Don't get me wrong, I love hitting that gold, but it's the thrill of the hunt that keeps me going. :icon_pirat:
"Sometimes I like to post my boring, lackluster finds, just to remind everyone and myself that most hunts bring you run-of-the-mill stuff." :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: sounds like me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread