Opinions on inexpensive detector with target depth

skyhead

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2008
Hello all, I'm new to the hobby and I have a Tesoro Compadre. this detector works great for me but I'm thinking I'd like to have something that shows target depth. I'm getting tired of hitting a strong signal thinking its a coin but only to find its a hunk of metal 12 inches deep. Don't get me wrong. This detector finds all kinds of coins and I know I'm looking in areas that others have looked before.
I'm looking for a used model under $200 if possible. I'm thinking about a Whites Prizm III if I can find one for that price. Can anyone offer any other suggestions for a used machine with target depth?

Thanks
Dave

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Opinions on inexpenive detector with depth

Great depth is not all it is cracked up to be. What you really need is a machine that disc. accurately. These usually aren't found near $200, but sometimes you can get lucky.

Even detectors that show the depth of a target can be fooled too and report a coin at a certain depth when it isn't near that depth at all. It is best to not run the detector at to high a sens. setting as this is mainly the cause of the problem.

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
Re: Opinions on inexpenive detector with depth

The Ace 250 would be the only machine in your price range to do what you want. It has a display that shows what type of target is under your coil. It will only give you a guide, not be totally accurate. The 250 has good depth for it's price. If you want to go deep, you have to pay the $$$$$. There is no free lunch, you get what you pay for. The detector you have is not a bad one. Maybe you can take more time to listen to the signals and get to know what the detector is telling you. No matter what, we all dig junk. It's the only way to make the good finds.
As for used detectors with depth in the $200. range, you might be able to find a deal, but it's going to have to be a more modern detector.

Good hunting, John K

OP
OP
S

skyhead

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions. I understand that not all targets are easly identified and the depth meter is not always correct. I have been learning a little about the sounds my compadre gives. I think I'll just have to get used to digging lots of trash to find the one good target.
I've been looking at some used white's prizm II's on ebay because I plan on taking a vacation at the beach this summer and would like to do a little detecting there. And from what I've read on these forums the compadre will not work in wet sand very well. I also would like to try a different detector on some of the properties I've already searched. I'll be looking at Whites and the Garretts as I think both of these are well respected models and seem to have a good history.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It isn't just the Tesoro Compadre that has trouble in wet saltwater sand, but most of the VLF's and that includes all the Whites. You might save the day by turning down the sensitivity some or a lot. For the wet saltwater sand the Minelabs are the top dogs with the Pulses being deeper but they lack real disc.

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Take a look at the F2 from Fisher 199.00 and you get the 8" and the 4" coil. I have been making some great finds with mine, it has the depth and number meter you're looking for. It's a breeze to pinpoint with too.
Good Luck!
Glenn

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The Whites Prizem and the Garrett Ace 250 are not really good beach detectors...........

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I realized that if you want a beach detector for using in the water....Its going to have to be something that atleast has PI. Like a grret sea hunter....Its just ashame most of these units cost nearly 1000!!

Don't even try to get one of those cobras, vipers or aquas....I have seen nothing but bad reviews..

Larry

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Larsmed said:
I realized that if you want a beach detector for using in the water....Its going to have to be something that atleast has PI. Like a grret sea hunter....Its just ashame most of these units cost nearly 1000!!

Don't even try to get one of those cobras, vipers or aquas....I have seen nothing but bad reviews..

Larry

Larry a PI is a type of detector, not something a detector has as a feature. The problem with PI's is they have no to almost no descrimination so if your beach isn't clean you speed all your time digging bobby pins at 2-3 foot.

You can find used water units on the boards for under a $1000 if you look by members you can trust.

I have seen Beach Hunter ID's sold for $400 to $600, you can take the BHID into the water and not worry about a wave ruining it. It is water proof.

If your not going into the water very deep (knee deep or less) you can get a used Minelab Sovereign in the $500 to $6oo range. It is NOT water proof so be very careful with waves or tripping and falling. The Sov is a fanstastic beach maching both dry and wet sand, the salt mineralization will not bother it.

I'm waiting for the reviews for Whites new Pulse Scan TDI detector, but is not waterproof so could not be used in the surf with out waterproofing it in a case.

Quote from a gentleman on another board...

"Unique to the Pulse Scan TDI is a Conductivity Toggle Switch labeled High-ALL-LOW.
HIGH Postition... Silver/Coins and other High Conductors are detected only.
ALL Position..... Both Silver, Clad (High Conductors) and Gold, Nickel (Low Conductors) are detected
LOW Postiion.... Gold/Nickel and other Low Conductors are detected only."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions