Wanting to Upgrade, Which One?

redlined

Jan 15, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MXT,Excellerator 4.5x7,Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all, let me start off by saying I've been MD'ing for about four years. I started off with a bounty Hunter 202. Last year I got an Ace 250. Both machines can and will readily detect the coins. Here is my dilemma though. I really don't get too wound up hunting for clad and I spend the majority of my time hunting old foundations and used-to-be's out in the middle of nowhere. I realize some of these spots may have been hit already, and I know some of them have never seen a metal detector.My love is finding the OLD stuff. I have found some older coins with the ACE, but I really feel like several of these spots are capable of giving up much more. I can't help but feel like I can't consistently hit the depth needed to get on the old stuff with the 250.

At this point I have narrowed my choices down to a DFX or Explorer SE. I have read and read and read about the exceptional depth of the Explorer SE and what a truly great machine it is. Is this the detector for me?I have gone through two now, and really would like to upgrade to somthing I'm absolutly confident will put me in the "deep" coins.Also, what about the learning curve? Will the Explorer floor me after using a different machine?How hard is it to program or get used to?Should I be looking at a different model instead? I would love some feedback from some Mine Lab guys and if these machines are as good as they're billed to be.What kind of difference can I expect compared to the ACE in terms of depth? All feedback would be appreciated, as I feel like I need to justify such a big upgrade from what I've been using to what I think I want.

As for the DFX, I've read nothing but good about it as well. The only thing I've heard contrary is the SE will go a little deeper. That being said, is the extra $300-350 for the Explorer worth the investment? Also,what about the DFX as far as programming, is it user friendly and are you able to adjust to it fairly quickly?Obviously, either one should do much better than what I'm currently using.I've seen and read enough to know that either detector will find much deeper (read older) coins on a consistent basis.I started out with cheaper detectors in the event I wouldn't like the hobby, well it has grown on me and I'm "here to stay". Looking for some good advice as I'm wanting to get a better detector in the next month or so.

Upvote 0

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I have the DFX and love it. I have also heard good and bad about both detectors and it just comes down to the displays and learning either detector which takes time. I find more and more as I learn more and more of my detector. As long as your willing to take the time and learn, I don't think you can go wrong with either one and both have great service to boot!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both the DFX and Explorer SE have a good preset program that you can use while you learn the detector, but the learning curve on the SE is steaper and some can never get over the "strangled duck" sounds. They just help ID the target by tones.
The SE is heavier too. You should look into the X-Terra 70 too as it is lots lighter than the DFX and SE. Whites does offer a super 12" coil for the DFX though. The DFX will null on a nail and if a coin is near, it's gone too where as the Minelabs will null on the nail and still sound off on a coin or ring under the nail.

Everything is a trade off.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I've got a DFX and I love it. I just bought a super 12 to go with it just before the LBH, I found a piece of copper wire that was about 6 inches long, 12-14 inches down

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
Don't rule out the Fisher F-75!

OP
OP
redlined

redlined

Jan 15, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Compared to the ACE, can I expect a definate or immediate increase in detectable coin depth with the DFX or SE?

Dr. Ace

Nov 4, 2007
South-Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Ace 250
Redlined,

FWIW, I own an Ace 250 and have been using it for the past seven months. I love it, and think it is an ideal introductory detector. It is a great coin shooter, which is what I want out of it. Due to winter, I have had only four months of detecting, but have pulled up over 1200 coins in that time. My finds have increased 300% in quantity and dollar amount this year over last year. I feel this indicates that I am learning the machine as I go along. I plan to purchase a Minelab Explorer SE next year. I had considered buying one this year, but I think I can better continue to learn my machine, and then spend the money next year to get a great machine. My feeling is that the SE will have two to three times the depth that the SE does. Judging by the posts I have read from people who own an SE, this should give me a considerable advantage over what I currently use.

Don't get me wrong. The Ace 250 is a great machine, but I agree with you, we are missing out on some great finds that the SE can detect. I can't wait to go back over the same areas I have checked with the Ace. I have a feeling that there is a lot of silver left undetected. But the bang for the buck can't be beat from the Ace 250!

hh,

Dr. Ace

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
redlined said:
Compared to the ACE, can I expect a definate or immediate increase in detectable coin depth with the DFX or SE?

Yes you can. I had detected 3 locations numerous times with my Classic ID. When I got the DFX I at least doubled my depth. Found a bunch of stuff at all three sites that the CID simply could not reach. I was worried about the learning curve on the SE and DFX but ultimately chose the DFX because it seemed to be easier to learn. Hopefully I will be able to do as DFX-SE Greg did and get the SE also.

Hal

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first detector was my DFX. I didn't have much trouble getting right out with it and finding stuff.

It has four methods for ID'ing your target: 1. Signagraph display, 2. VDI reading, 3. Tone ID, 4. Pinpoint mode with DC phase reading.

There have been four or five books written about the DFX. These make great reference material.

The community includes the www.dfxonly.com site that contains tons of information on every aspect of the DFX and a lot of helpful members.

The 3rd annual DFXonly hunt was a few weeks ago. About 75 hunters participated in a hunt at Camp Tuscazor in Dover, OH. It was a great weekend gathering and around 100 silver coins were found in the woods around the camp.

There are a lot of coil options with the DFX, at least a dozen White's and other aftermarket brands for every possible situation. The stock 9.5 inch coil is an excellent coil. The Super 12 is good in areas with less trash.

I've been using the rechargeable battery for 2 1/2 years and it is still going strong.

It is great inland and on the beach. The only drawback I can think of is that the box isn't waterpoof, the coil is.

I can't tell you a lot about the SE other than I tried one out once and it seemed heavy to me.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently own both the Whites DFX and the Minelab SE. I've had my DFX for about 2 years and kept hearing about the exceptional depth of the SE. I finally gave up and bought the SE awhile back, and here is my take on the 2 big dogs.

Out of the box the SE does indeed have better depth. On copper and silver at least. Now let me explain my experience on why.

First off the DFX's factory programs are very conservative compared to the SE's. My guess is Whites was more concerned about stability for new users than running it hot making it hard to handle. The SE has the advantage in it's stock coil. The Stock coil is a DD coil which has many advantages over the stock Concentric the DFX comes with. A DD coil handles mineralized soil better giving more depth. There is the SE's main depth advantage. The DD coil also cover more area giving better odds that you coil will pass over a target. Also, the DD coil is better at finding good targets in the midst of trash.

Now put a DD coil on the DFX and the advantage shifts greatly.

The DFX is lighter, easier to run and understand especially for users new to detectors. The DFX has far better target ID resolution. Better ID resolution makes ID'ing targets more accurate and defined. With the DFX I can tell a silver dime or quarter from a clad dime or quarter, and I can tell a nickle from a pull tab 99% of the time. The DFX seems to be more sensitive to small gold and I found this very surprising. I assumed since the SE is advertised to use frequencies from 1khz to 100khz this should make it able to detect smaller gold target better. My testing shows just the opposite. My SE will not detect a 14k gold chain, with clasp, that I found with my DFX.

Now I live in southwest Kansas where soil mineralization is lower than most other places, so this may account for my views of the DFX vs the SE. If you live in a location where ground mineralization is high, then you would probably experience a big difference in the depth of the stock SE to the stock DFX. Again, the stock SE coil is a DD which give better depth in mineralized soil. As for me I have yet to find any coins any deeper with my SE than with my DFX. But then because of my low mineralization, I was already getting very good depth with my DFX.

OP
OP
redlined

redlined

Jan 15, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Appreciate the advice, if you wanted to put a DD searchcoil on a DFX, which one would you suggest?

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1400 Eclipse is a good coil but pretty heavy.

George W

Greenie
May 16, 2008
Digger,
Could you please tell me how you can tell a nickel from pulltabs 99% of the time With your DFX? I have been using the DFX going on 3 years now and even with tone ID on I can't tell the difference.. I use the beach jewelry program most of the time with adjustments for added depth..I do have Jeff's Fosters book that don't seem to cover this well.. Thanks George

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{quote]Could you please tell me how you can tell a nickel from pulltabs 99% of the time With your DFX?[/quote]

When I get a rock solid 21 VDI from all directions and a strong single line in the right location in the SignaGraph, it's going to be a nickle. Thats not to say that I can always tell a nickle from a pull tab with a 99% accuracy, but that when I get that solid 21, 99% of the times it's a nickle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread