Tony_agr

Jun 1, 2014
Placerville
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As anyone used a battery charger to run a 12v pump?
I just purchased a 1200mph attwood tsunami pump
I will use for a recirculation system and have 110v ,I have a
6 amp manual charger or I can use a charger that on manual
setting will give me 54 amps (jump start mode)
Has anyone done this?
Appreciate any input
Thanks
Tony

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you should use jump start mode, use a 5amp fuse or you could burn up the pump.
you can use the charger, some newer chargers have to sense the battery to work
but you can use it with a small 12v battery in between.
you can try just the charger direct, some will work just don't go above 5 or 6 amps

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always clip the leads to an old battery it holds enough voltage and like mentioned my charger senses it there. It helps prevent surging rpms. I use that on any bilge pump I run. It will run straight from most new chargers. I just don't like to do it for long periods

Last edited:

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At home I always use my battery charger for consistant motor running.

Yeah I've done this too, when you have the charger and a battery you essentially have two batteries. I even charged the charger off my car a couple of times while running the car obv and never had to go charge anything at an outlet for about a week.

A charger is nice too when camping to charge your phone and I even used some heating pads at night plugged into charger as it has 120v connections. I bought a Diehard charger originally and it died after just after the 1 year warranty and found the Duracell powerpac pro 600 is way better for the few extra bucks and still fully charges after two years of mostly sitting around and only occasional use.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should always have a battery between the powered device and charger, it acts as a voltage buffer. The way a charger works is by increasing voltage to the battery. The higher the voltage the more amps, so say your charger is a 2 amp, voltage coming out of the charger will be around 13.9 or more volts in order to charge the battery. The voltage has to be higher from the battery in order to charge the cell. A 10 amp charger will put out much more from 14-18 volts depending on if it has a charge controller built in, it can sense the battery voltage an adjusts charge voltage based on what voltage the battery is at. The increase of voltage is where the amperage comes from.Yes you can run straight from a charger but it is not recommended due to the higher voltage output, probably much safer with a lower amp charger if you must do this.

If you want to run 12v with no battery, best thing would to be to buy our make a 12v power supply. Easiest way to do this is get an old atx computer power supply. I made one recently that was rated at 900 watts and did 10amps out, 12volts. The voltage is regulated to stay at 12 volts even under heavy load. The black and yellow leads coming out for your hard drives etc. will have your 12v current, and if the power supply has no on/off switch built in, find the wires that would plug into the motherboard and look for a green and a black wire. Jumping these two will turn the supply on. I just throw a toggle switch between the two and then your all set. Just be sure the supply you choose is rated for your application, should say how many amps it will do and there are many different watt/amp variations of these power supplies.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So true!!! It sounds like you know what your talking about!!

My shut in winter projects have been very much related to this. At first I used the 12v computer supply to power my radio equipment and it grew from there. Decided to make a solar generator to use at home to do the same, but also could be used in the field or camping to power all kinds of stuff. would be perfect for powering a electric high banker if you could drive right up to the location as its not light at all. Here are a few pics of the generator I built, and my small panel that keeps it charged at home. Also my other portable panel that can be used with this or any 12v battery out in the field.

20160317_170510.jpg 20160317_170233.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread