Oregon Parks

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
They vary from city to city and sometimes, park to park. Check with your local parks department. Here in Eugene it is fine, with a permit (free).

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Unless posted, or an obvious historical monument, city parks are not off-limits, any more than any other hobby. If someone wants to tell you otherwise, they are welcome to. I would be careful going to city halls up and down your state, as if, something were inherently wrong with you, or your hobby, that you had to ask. Then they certainly will dig hard and find anything they think applies (like "don't disturb the vegetation") when in fact, if you had just gone, no one would probably have paid you any mind.

OP
OP
S

Sixxgun

Greenie
Jul 10, 2007
Prineville,Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter tracker IV and White's Goldmaster
What about old courthouse lawns both where my parents live and here in prineville. Do you need a permit or promisson? And thanks for the help

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
"Unless posted, or an obvious historical monument, city parks are not off-limits, any more than any other hobby. If someone wants to tell you otherwise, they are welcome to."

So, Tom, you are giving your "xpert" advice? First it was California, then Florida, recently Illinois, and now Oregon?

In some jurisdictions, city parks around the U.S. ARE off limits. Ya don't believe me, check the statues, my friend.

Sixxgun, pls check the city/county computer websites. Some cities/counties list it in their city ordinance section, some list it in their parks and recreation section. And, in some cases, some have it posted on signs in the parks....and some places have it posted in their parks & recreation brochures. Despite what Tom has alluded to...it is incumbent upon all of us to know the laws and to adhere to them.
--Mel

borninok

OP
OP
S

Sixxgun

Greenie
Jul 10, 2007
Prineville,Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter tracker IV and White's Goldmaster
Thanks borninok that's why I ask Law have seam to change in the last 10 -15 years. I'll do my research

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey Borninak, how is your advice any less "Xpert" than mine? I mean, you go telling people an alternative that they should ask (ok, well..... look at city code on-line, that's better). But yes, just as you have gone thread to thread giving people your stock answer, why can't another person go thread to thread giving their take? I mean, we each consider each other's advice to be wrong, so why are only you allowed to post yours?

I am glad that you are suggesting that people just look at online city websites (as opposed to suggesting they cold call some city official, or show up a the park & rec. dept. secretary's desk, for instance). If all someone does is check a website, then no harm done, in my way of thinking (although I wouldn't go to the trouble). But what do you suggest to people who go to a city website, and there is nothing on the issue? Ie.: it is silent on the subject of detecting?

Or what if it is silent about detecting, yet says "don't disturb the vegetation" (heck, I'm sure that in EVERY city's codes).

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
"don't disturb the vegetation"

Easy answer, Tom, don't disturb the vegetation...and leave the bunnies alone.... ;D ;D ;D

Regarding the rest of your post, Tom, I do give my stock answer....research before you dig. If you have a problem with that advice, sorry, but I'm not the one who is going to get arrested. I love my DFX and am not about to have it confiscated. And you don't think they will? Think again. By the way, remember in another thread where you reiterated your normal diatribe...I gave my pappy's advice/definition regarding becoming an expert. I don't claim to be an expert, never have, never will. When someone asks questions regarding state laws, I always suggest that they try the FDAC webite as a TOOL. Second, I suggest to them that they check the websites and other park/recreation brochures. And, when they have done all of their homework and research and are satisfied of the legality, then by all means, go outside and play.

Don't see anything in that policy that would suggest claiming to be an expert. On the other hand, you seem to have a special burning desire to tell people to not ask. It kind of brings up a question in my mind as to why...other than your stock answer.

Just like I have said in my other posting on the other thread, a simple question was asked. You gave your simple answer. I gave my simple answer. Enuf is enuf, ok?
Thank you and goodbye.
--Mel

borninok

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread