Organized Hunts...

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
They're not for everybody although they can be fun. You might look at a smaller hunt if just starting out but if you can and feel up to it, look for a hunt that has been put on for a # of years ( either a high digit or double digit--example 23rd Annual Hunt). Also look for one that either lasts a whole weekend or has more than a main hunt and a couple of minor hunts in one day.
Also see the following thread.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,71893.0.html

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only been to one, but I personally enjoyed it a great deal. I attended the Great Southern Beach Shootout in Daytona. I got to meet some really nice folks, learned a lot watching and talking to other hunters and got to do 6 hunts over 3 days.

The thread stoney provided is good. If it is on any kind of beach, get yourself a large sand basket, and a wide hand scoop. Speed is everything! If you can get every target your detector sees in the first scoop you will do a lot better.

I guarantee before my next one I will have a hand scoop that is twice as wide as the one I used last time...... ;D

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sent you an email with an upcoming hunt in PA and who to contact for info....
you meet a lot of great people and i had a great time when i attended organized hunts..

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
There's also a book on competition hunting for those interested. It's got a few good tips and information. It's called "The Complete Book of Competition Treasure Hunting by Ernie Curlee and put out by Ram Press.
You might try looking for it in an inter-libray loan first and then decide if you want to acquire it.

swingman

Feb 7, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab (2), Garrett (2), Whites (2)
Better to use a machine where you can adjust the frequency, so other detectors will interfere less or not at all. Such 'cross-talk' can be deadly in a hunt where speed means a lot.
Two examples - the Whites IDX and the Garrett 2500 (and maybe other Garretts?). Both pinpoint very well also.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've just started entering club hunts as there are two of them held each spring only a few miles from my house. They are fun and educational. So many with like interests to meet and talk to. Plus the opportunity to win a few nice prizes if you are lucky or even semi skilled.
First off you need a really light weight machine with really good sensitivity. They hold deep hunts so you need a detector with depth to 6-9" capability to find a silver dime or copper cent. Speed and covering a lot of ground is essential thus the lightweight machine. Many of the hunts have the tokens or coins right under the surface and there's where the speed comes in. Luck plays a large part too . Since many times the prize is determined by the one who finds the marked token or coin. Finding a prize gift token gives the novice as well as the pros a chance to win. There is usually several specialy hunts including one for just women and one for children. It's a good family outing, so go and take the spouse and kids and have fun. Monty

P.S. Check out your local treasure clubs and see what they have to offer

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Along with the larger scoop for me I will also invest in a Tersoro detector with a freq shifter. I took 3 machines with me on the hunt, an ML Excal, Whites 6000 PRO XL and a Whites Beach Hunter ID. All three had trouble with interference from other machines, the BH ID seemed to have the least amount.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yea,that is one place an inexpensive machine will sometimes work out better.
The coins are usually not very deep and the tokens are items that are easily found.I had to quit using my minelab nad go back to my cz7a.
I made a lot of great friends and learned a lot of detecting tips from all kinds of people at these hunts and i have many fond memories of nites around camp fires at treasure week.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Funny you should say that. I started out with the cz7a pro and got wiped out. Switched to the Minelab EX 2, noise canceled at the beginning of the hunt when everyone was hot and had no trouble at all. Go figure???

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
erikk said:
Funny you should say that. I started out with the cz7a pro and got wiped out. Switched to the Minelab EX 2, noise canceled at the beginning of the hunt when everyone was hot and had no trouble at all. Go figure???

I believe it depends on what the majority on the field are using. In certain areas, White's might be more predominant whereas in other hunts, Garrett's might be the majority. The frequency output of other machines can sometimes be overwhelming and you'll begin to feel like a pinball.
Another tip is, if possible, look for your model of machine and move down and away from it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions