Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to the fairgrounds today. I found some clad and this brass thingy.

IMG_0045.JPG

Then I found this left by a guy who liked to dig holes and not fill them. Dead plugs all over.

IMG_0041.JPG

I tried to fill them in but the plugs were dead and the holes bone dry. That ended my day on a sour note.
I'll be lucky if they don't ban detecting there.

Last edited:
Upvote 9

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; If you ever see the idiot again TELL him to fill his holes or give him a swift kick in the skivvies for us PLEASE. That burns me. 48 years in Field and I've NEVER left a hole unfilled. Some people just don't give a beep. I'm stopping now. My neck hairs are bristling. PEACE:RONB

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing that people will do that. A lot of these videos I see that people post online if you watch them closely, many of these people have no idea how to dig plugs and recover targets. I like to leave some of the grass attached and fold the plug back. That way you at least have a chance that the plug won't die. Nobody seems to use drop cloths either which help to more efficiently corral the dirt to be placed back in the hole. If its just too hot and dry, I usually won't dig in well manicured grassy areas because plugs will usually die in these conditions no matter what you do. I commend you for trying to clean up this person's mess but once plugs die its hard to do anything about it. Additionally, if you dig shabby plugs and don't stomp them down efficiently, animals will get into them and turn them over, so you need to stomp them down pretty well to avoid this.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the difference between a Real Detectorist and an amateur....no wait a minute, even most newbs know better. Thats a sign of a pure idiot.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seen this happen with plenty of people who replace their plugs. The animals dig them back up looking for grubs. So don't be quick to judge, it could be you in the future.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where I detect is mostly parks. I have had cops come up on me several occasions. They don't like metal detectorists. But there is no law against it. But there is laws against digging and disturbing the grass. They leave me alone because it is a grey area in the law, and they can't see any place I have dug. Most times I go to these parks armed with just a screwdriver. I only pop the shallow targets. If I can't hit it with my screwdriver I don't dig it. I am aerating more than digging. I am like a ghost, people see me but there is no evidence I was there. Most people that I have seen with their shovels and leaving open plugs are people not from here, so they don't care.

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very sad,,
We get blamed for everything, from squirrel holes to dog holes. It's maddening when you get the blame for damage that was actually caused by another detectorist.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Seen this happen with plenty of people who replace their plugs. The animals dig them back up looking for grubs. So don't be quick to judge, it could be you in the future.

Very true. One property I was doing detecting work for I had that very problem. The landscaper chewed my ass one day about holes being left. I assured him I was replacing them properly and he cried bollux. Not a week later he witnessed a squirrel pulling a plug out.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Thing is that the plug was dug by a HUMAN. If you see them not filling their holes talk to them and tell them to fix their holes. Several years ago I had a cop stop me from digging at a beach I've been digging since the 60's because a moron left LARGE holes all over the beach and a dog got hurt in one of the holes. I talked to the cop and got his name and told him if I see someone doing that I would call and ask for him specifically. He let me go ahead. Sure enough 3 days I go there and what do I see but this moron digging & leaving LARGE holes. I went over to him and started to talk to him NICELY. After I told him he had to fill in his holes he started swearing at me and threatening me. WEEEELLLL, I took his picture and called my friend cop. Turns out the cop was just up the street and he came right over. He stopped the guy and questioned him about the holes. The guy started yelling at the cop and me. The cop had enough. He radioed for backup. They came SECONDS later. They busted this guy, confiscated his gear and Arrested him for Destruction of Property, Threatening a Police Officer and Resisting Arrest. After he was in the cruiser the cops both came over to me. I showed them the pictures of this clown in action and told them I'd be GLAD to give them a copy of the pictures. They said great and let me go ahead detecting. Well after he was busted the Court found out he caused a few Thousand $$$ in damages that had to be repaired by the MDC Crew. The Judge Ordered him to pay Restitution and BANNED him from the local beaches as well. The cop told me this moron started to argue with the Judge. The Judge told him if he is caught on the beaches again he would impose a nice JAIL Sentence on him. I've never seen the guy since.
PS: The Judge Ordered his gear be held as State Evidence as well. So folks, If you talk to someone about their holes remember that you do NOT have to put up with any guff from the idiot. Make sure you take pictures of them in action, Call the Police & show them the pictures. The cops will like you for it. Enough said, Problem Solved. What say ye Folks ?? PEACE:RONB
This is a True story ok.

Last edited:

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hello Crusader. Yup I've seen that at sites where I know the holes were all filled when I left...come back and some are dug out again. We've got a critter called the armadillo that is most often the culprit. C9

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am sad to sat I have arrived at a few sites, over the past few years that holes were dug, trash left on the ground next to the hole, and the dirt piled on the turf. All one can do is to pick up the trash and refill the holes. I'd like to believe that there are only 1 to 2% of MDers that do this sort of thing, but I am a firm believer in the old saying
"One Oh Sh_t can wipe away 100 atta-boys"
when it comes to the perception some people for us who enjoy the hobby.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; loco; The old saying is "One bad apple spoils the whole darn bunch." Micheal Jackson. Me, I have no problem dialing 911. I make sure I get the pictures and I'll plant them all over the City if I have to. I'll make them a Poster Child for Morons.!!! Try me.!!! :angry4: There is NO EXCUSE for that type behavior, NONE. Thing is that if the cops or Rangers know what's going on they get right on it. They like that sort of stuff. Kinky suckers.!!! Bottom Line for me is "Ill make you rue the day you decided to act like that." I'm dead serious. I'll put you on the local News Station. I ain't kidding. It really burns me. What say ye Folks. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread