Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch:

I looked at this at first and thought....yes Medieval, then I looked at the pictiure of the back and it looks stamped, not cast, in it's production. So I'm out on a limb with this one :dontknow:

Nice find though :icon_thumleft:

SS

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find !!!

OP
OP
garryson

garryson

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2007
Hungary
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver Searcher said:
I looked at this at first and thought....yes Medieval, then I looked at the pictiure of the back and it looks stamped, not cast, in it's production. So I'm out on a limb with this one :dontknow:
SS

Front and back cover. Inside hollow.
See the pictures:

Attachments

• 20050317-080220_7.jpg
    20050317-080220_7.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 522
  • c0965pr194a.jpg
    c0965pr194a.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 509

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
garryson said:
Silver Searcher said:
SS

See the pictures:
Arrr...so is it a two piece cross :dontknow:

S

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver Searcher said:
garryson said:
Silver Searcher said:
SS

See the pictures:

S

Nice ENKOLPION ! :o( Medieval crosse-reliquary).
Inside there not was hollow ... is a cross-shaped reliquary (within the cross they placed the remains of saints or apostles) therefore consisted of two parts.
During the Xth to XIIth centuries, the most popular items were the pectoral crosses and crosses-reliquary, its use was not only collective and private property. To cover all needs, not only was a local production in Bulgaria, but were also imported from the "Byzantine Empire" (Greece, Asia Minor, Syria, Palestine, Caucasus and Crimea). :wink:
Greetings!
http://www.google.es/images?hl=es&q=ENKOLPION&rlz=1W1PBEA_es&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Attachments

• enkolpiony.jpg
    enkolpiony.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 444

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HISPAN said:
Silver Searcher said:
garryson said:
Silver Searcher said:
SS

See the pictures:

S

Nice ENKOLPION ! :o ( Medieval crosse-reliquary).
Inside there not was hollow ... is a cross-shaped reliquary (within the cross they placed the remains of saints or apostles) therefore consisted of two parts.
During the Xth to XIIth centuries, the most popular items were the pectoral crosses and crosses-reliquary, its use was not only collective and private property. To cover all needs, not only was a local production in Bulgaria, but were also imported from the "Byzantine Empire" (Greece, Asia Minor, Syria, Palestine, Caucasus and Crimea). :wink:
Greetings!
http://www.google.es/images?hl=es&q=ENKOLPION&rlz=1W1PBEA_es&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi
Great work Hispan :notworthy: When I saw it was two peice this was my thought also :thumbsup:

SS

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver Searcher said:
HISPAN said:
Silver Searcher said:
garryson said:
Silver Searcher said:
SS

See the pictures:

S

Greetings!
Great work Hispan :notworthy: When I saw it was two peice this was my thought also :thumbsup:

SS

your know Colin .... this finding needs some welding and artificial re-patined to unify the colors of the patina. (in admosfera ammonia) the copper has a bit a cancer ,is a museum piece that can be restored easily. :wink:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HISPAN said:
Silver Searcher said:
HISPAN said:
Silver Searcher said:
garryson said:
Silver Searcher said:
SS

See the pictures:

S

Greetings!

SS

your know Colin .... this finding needs some welding and artificial re-patined to unify the colors of the patina. (in admosfera ammonia) is a museum piece that can be restored easily. :wink:
Yes it needs to be restored proffesionally :o..I think this find is BANNER worthy :o

SS

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver Searcher said:
HISPAN said:
Silver Searcher said:
HISPAN said:
Silver Searcher said:
garryson said:
Silver Searcher said:
SS

See the pictures:

S

Greetings!

SS

your know Colin .... this finding needs some welding and artificial re-patined to unify the colors of the patina. (in admosfera ammonia) is a museum piece that can be restored easily. :wink:
Yes it needs to be restored proffesionally :o..I think this find is BANNER worthy :o

SS

just that I thought ....I'm voting banner anyway .... but you know that these findings alone are valued properly in Europe. despite the fact that this cross is a true relic of the first Crusades. :dontknow:

OP
OP
garryson

garryson

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2007
Hungary
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HISPAN said:
Silver Searcher said:
HISPAN said:
Silver Searcher said:
HISPAN said:
Silver Searcher said:
garryson said:
Silver Searcher said:
SS

See the pictures:

S

Greetings!

SS

SS

just that I thought ....I'm voting banner anyway .... but you know that these findings alone are valued properly in Europe. despite the fact that this cross is a true relic of the first Crusades. :dontknow:

Thanks, Hispan :icon_thumleft:

I hope I'll have the other half.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread