Changed Tactics Again...and Found SPANISH SILVER!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earlier this week I was detecting along the river bank near my house and found a bottle dump coming out of the river bank. I decided that I would try the dump again this morning with some better digging tools. I found a bunch of decent bottles (see the Bottles and Glass Forum for that post) so I thought my morning was complete. On the way back home I decided to detect an area that I have detected many times before...it's a pasture right beside my house. I have several old maps from the 1700s showing a village site in the area but I have never found anything older than the late 1800s...until today!

The signal was kind of scratchy until I flipped the plug...then it was giving me a consistent 92 reading on my F-75. I saw the edge and knew it was silver...I was thinking a Vicky quarter but was ecstatic to see that it was a clipped 2 reale Pistareen!!! There is hardly any wear on this coin at all and must have been clipped very near the date of circulation...1720s.

I've been detecting for 5 years and so far every year I have found Spanish silver! This is my first clipped silver which makes it even more special to me. I'm just over the moon right now!

Attachments

• 9 October 2010 004.jpg
    9 October 2010 004.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,298
  • 9 October 2010 011.jpg
    9 October 2010 011.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,285
  • 9 October 2010 008.jpg
    9 October 2010 008.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,286
  • 9 October 2010 005.jpg
    9 October 2010 005.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,291
Upvote 0

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations, Patrick, on a cut silver found in Canada. :headbang: I wish you many more, man.

Kirk :hello:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
Congratulations, Patrick, on a cut silver found in Canada. :headbang: I wish you many more, man.

Kirk :hello:

Thanks Kirk...I'm itching to get back out but promised the wife I would finish painting the house today...and mow the lawn, and rake the leaves...

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good tactics, :thumbsup: And a fine looking clipped pistareen. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: Maybe there will be some more there.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a new one, and now I can no longer say I don't know of a cut piece of Spanish silver dug up this way. They were pretty sloppy but being done right at half it was definitely the intention to separate into pieces.

I think I've dug at least one Spanish per year but could have missed one with a couple of down years we had.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
There's a new one, and now I can no longer say I don't know of a cut piece of Spanish silver dug up this way. They were pretty sloppy but being done right at half it was definitely the intention to separate into pieces.

I think I've dug at least one Spanish per year but could have missed one with a couple of down years we had.

I was starting to think I would be skunked in the Spanish department this year!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:

I think that every year! ;D I do have one so far, but any uglier and I would consider not counting it. Unless it's something spectacular to be honest there's many things I have higher on the want list, most of which I probably wouldn't even think of until they're out of the ground and in my hand. There is a few Spanish I would really love to come across and they will always be near the top of my list. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:

I think that every year! ;D I do have one so far, but any uglier and I would consider not counting it. Unless it's something spectacular to be honest there's many things I have higher on the want list, most of which I probably wouldn't even think of until they're out of the ground and in my hand. There is a few Spanish I would really love to come across and they will always be near the top of my list. :thumbsup:

Spanish gold? :P

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find there romeo...still looking for a cut piece myself...also wish I found one every year I was out.. but pulling 2 out in front of IP about 5 min apart was satifation enough :laughing9:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:

That, a certain couple locals are always on the list, as well as a 2 reale cob (or larger), and a 4 or 8 reale in decent condition. I also really like the pre 1600s stuff too. (If I'm going to dream)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:

But what did you dig last hunt there when IH and I dug the French silver? :laughing7:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Patriot said:
Great find there romeo...still looking for a cut piece myself...also wish I found one every year I was out.. but pulling 2 out in front of IP about 5 min apart was satisfaction enough :laughing9:

You'll find it where and when you least expect it.

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Way to go Patrick, What you said about the Spanish silver every year for as long as you have been detecting holds true for me also. I am yet to find a cut coin though. That's a beauty. They just didn't cut them where we are. Didn't need them when coppers were being circulated in abundance. We will be getting into a new spot tomorrow. Kyle and I just did a drive by and they were cutting the soybean at that time. :thumbsup: Keep hammering away at that spot.
Chris

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:

I'm skunked every year in that department (unless you count a copper cob) :P

Very good hunt :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
Way to go Patrick, What you said about the Spanish silver every year for as long as you have been detecting holds true for me also. I am yet to find a cut coin though. That's a beauty. They just didn't cut them where we are. Didn't need them when coppers were being circulated in abundance. We will be getting into a new spot tomorrow. Kyle and I just did a drive by and they were cutting the soybean at that time. :thumbsup: Keep hammering away at that spot.
Chris

Thanks Chris...but don't discount finding one down there, they're not too common here either but here we are! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the bottles I found during the 1st part of the hunt...nothing special but they date to the late 1800s.

Attachments

• 9 October 2010 015.jpg
    9 October 2010 015.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 972
  • 9 October 2010 014.jpg
    9 October 2010 014.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 982
  • 9 October 2010 017.jpg
    9 October 2010 017.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 969
  • 9 October 2010 014.jpg
    9 October 2010 014.jpg