Other metal Buillion

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I know will be off subject but I was wondering if anyone is collecting copper buillion? I know about copper pennies and the law prohibing the melting of it. But pure copper bullion? I bought some on an impulse buy and while I probably won't buy anymore. The LCS I went to way way overpriced it, stupid me. Or platinum? I can't imagine that being worth anything but it's more expensive than gold! The only other time I have heard of platinum was in the DragonLance novels.

anyone else want to spot their two cents in?

Hugs and Smiles,
garoulady

Upvote 0

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Wish I had a Ryedale. Would sort my copper pennies, but takes forever by hand. Thinking about investing in copper bars aswell! 1-10lb bars maybe? Never know what will rise!
Hppy hunting!
Wickaboag

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to do a simple google search to see why platinum is so valuable, before ... well never mind. Keep saying things like that. I need a good laugh.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I mostly hoard Silver, but im currently running on 150 LBS of scrap Copper I pickup through ads on craigslist, and of course the pre 1981. Sort them separate..

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking about the scrap copper I have. Its mainly wire stripped out of old machines. I would love to find someone local who has a homemade foundry so I can melt it down into bars. I have about 3 Lbs worth. Not much for the scrap dealer but pretty good for me. We are doing construction at work and if I didn't work here I could have asked them to dumpster dive for all the copper I saw them throw away. Heck all the wood I saw them throwing away made me want to cry. what a waste of materials.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kevinbomb123 said:
I would recommend Federal Reserve shredded currency briquettes.

If Obama is re-elected, it won't be long before ALL Fed currency will be shredded. Oops- sorry that just slipped out.

If you are gonna buy bullion, I recommend buying something that has collector value as well as billion value, in case silver tanks again, as long as you can get it close to melt value. Ex: problem-free walkers & franklins

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
As long as silver doesn't go below 6 dollars an ounce I am always ahead of the game since almost all my coinage was bought at that price or better yet I got it at face value.

Hugs and Smiles,
garoulady

Virgil

Sep 25, 2012
Georgia (And that's as specific as it's gonna get!
Detector(s) used
Eyes and hands, mainly. Sometimes I whip out the ol' sniffer...
Primary Interest:
Other
Is there a reason to treat GarouLady like crap because she doesn't know as much as you guys do? All I was able to find through a 'simple google search' is why platinum jewelry is so expensive. Most of the reasons given were pretty specific to jewelry, as opposed to simple bullion. I might be able to find more in a more intensive search, but then, I thought it would just take a simple search? Does that mean I should ridicule you, Wilmingtonsilver? If you guys were just joking, then I take it all back, but I'm guessing you weren't. If you were, a 'j/k' would go a long way (as I learned from a wise post on this board, actually). Seriously, treat people with some basic respect, or don't say anything at all.

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ma'am, look into Palladium. Platinum group metal that could be a cheaper replacement for platinum in Jewelery and it is harder than platinum. I got my wedding band in PD950. I also bought Palladium maple leaves years ago and did well.

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Is there a reason to treat GarouLady like crap because she doesn't know as much as you guys do? All I was able to find through a 'simple google search' is why platinum jewelry is so expensive. Most of the reasons given were pretty specific to jewelry, as opposed to simple bullion. I might be able to find more in a more intensive search, but then, I thought it would just take a simple search? Does that mean I should ridicule you, Wilmingtonsilver? If you guys were just joking, then I take it all back, but I'm guessing you weren't. If you were, a 'j/k' would go a long way (as I learned from a wise post on this board, actually). Seriously, treat people with some basic respect, or don't say anything at all.

AGREED 100%
She's just trying to enjoy CRH, and you guys make it sour for her.
Please stop?
Wicka

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you Virgil and Wicka. appreciate the freindly posts.

I bought some of those copper rounds about 5 years ago until I figured out unlike silver and gold that was selling by the ounce, copper was by the pound. Definitely learned my mistake, as I am sure others have made mistakes before, and I don't buy copper from the LCS. Still won't stop me from saving scrap though or dumpster diving. Just got a handful of copper wiring from the garbage. About another ounce of copper towards my hoard. Pretty soon I should be able to turn it in for more money towards buying more silver.

Still very stoked over the 1991 S proof nickel I found in my till at work. =) Maybe tomorrow I will find some silver.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a question on the topic of copper, are the prices of copper in regular pounds or troy pounds?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread