Otto, North Carolina

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
all states have a publication list of reports that we all have already paid for. the list is free and theres a lot of good publications in this list that are also for free, some of them do cost but are reasonable. contact or do a search for your states "list of publications" and send off for it. youll be suprised at whats out there for your info on this! also see if your state has done a soil survey! our state did and itll point the way!

rebel003

Feb 17, 2011
Winston, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is the info I have for NC. Good luck.

North Carolina Gold Mines, Prospecting, Panning, Treasure Hunting and Rock hounding
Rock hounding for gems and minerals, panning or prospecting for gold, treasure hunting for coins, jewelry and gold nuggets, are popular hobbies in North Carolina. North Carolinaā€™s gold region includes gem stones such as rubies, sapphires, garnets, and emeralds. A diamond is occasionally found. Take your gold pan, sluice box, metal detector or dredge and get started prospecting and gem collecting.
When panning in North Carolina you will be surprised at the number of small gem stones, mainly garnets that appear in your gold pan. If you have a metal detector for treasure hunting, be sure to detect for nuggets. Also, detect at rural churches and schools for coins and jewelry. Old rural churches had "dinner on the grounds" at which parishioners lost coins and jewelry. Franklin, North Carolina is famous for itā€™s rubies. You will be able to pan for rubies at several "pan for fee" locations there.
Big Tenā€™s North Carolina Gold Map shows 300 gold mines and prospects from official geological records of the State of North Carolina and the federal government. Gold sites are shown in these 34 North Carolina counties:
Alamance Avery Burke Cabarrus Caldwell Catawba Cherokee Clay Cleveland Davidson Davie Franklin Gaston Guilford Henderson Jackson Lincoln Macon McDowell Mecklenburg Montgomery Moore Nash Orange Person Polk Randolph Rowan Rutherford Stanley Swain Transylvania Union Watauga.
Gold sites continue on the Virginia, Georgia and South Carolina Maps
Comments on Mining of Gold, Gold Prospecting, Gold Panning, Treasure Hunting and Rock hounding in North Carolina
ļæ¼
Little Meadow Creek at Reed Gold Mine, site of first discovery of gold in the U.S.

Large nuggets have been found at North Carolina gold mines. Many large gold nuggets were found at Little Meadow Creek, on the Reed Gold Mine property, starting with a l7 pound nugget. So many nuggets were found at this creek that the area next to the creek was called "The Potato Patch", the digging of nuggets having been likened to digging up potatoes. Much of North Carolina is covered by National Forests which have beautiful streams where families can enjoy panning and prospecting for gold and gems. When gold prospecting, treasure hunting or collecting gems and minerals, donā€™t worry if the stream is small. Little streams often have gold or other minerals or gem stones of interest.
Gold Mines in North Carolina
Prior work by P. Albert Carpenter, III is acknowledged. Gold mines and gold panning and prospecting sites range across North Carolina from Clay and Swain counties in the west to Nash, Halifax and Franklin counties in the east. Many sites are accessible from primary and secondary roads.
Heavy gold deposit concentrations occur between Morganton and Rutherfordton, all around Gastonia, all around Charlotte, and near Concord, Salisbury, Albermarle, Lexington, High Point, Asheboro, Robbins, Chapel Hill and Burlington. There is a concentration of gold near Andrews in Cherokee County that was commercially mined three times in history.
A geological report mentions that a North Carolina farmer shot deer with golden bullets molded from gold found on his property.
North Carolina Gold History
The material herein under the headings "First Discovery of Gold in the United States", "Origin of Gold Mining at the Reed Mine" and "Spread of Placer and Lode Gold Mining" is quoted from "Reed Gold Mine, Site of the First Documented Discovery of Gold in the United States". (North Carolina Division of Archives and History)
FIRST DISCOVERY OF GOLD IN THE UNITED STATES
Reed Gold Mine is the site of the first documented gold find in the United States. From this discovery, gold mining spread gradually to nearby counties and eventually into other southern states. During its peak years gold mining was second only to farming in the number of North Carolinians it employed. The estimated value of gold recovered reached over a million dollars a year. North Carolina led the nation in gold production until 1848, when it was eclipsed by the great rush to California.
ORIGIN OF GOLD MINING AT THE REED MINE
John Reed (Johannes Reith) was a Hessian soldier who left the British army near the conclusion of the Revolutionary War and came to settle near fellow Germans living in the lower Piedmont of North Carolina. Most of the people dwelt on modest family-run farms in rural areas, where they raised small grain crops such as corn and wheat.
The life of farmer John Reed would have been long forgotten had it not been for a chance event one Sunday in 1799. On that day Reedā€™s son Conrad found a large yellow rock in Little Meadow Creek on the Reed farm in Cabarrus County. This rock reportedly weighed seventeen pounds and for three years was used as a doorstop at the Reed house. In 1802 a Fayetteville jeweler identified the gold nugget. He purchased it from Reed for the asked-for price of $3.50.
The following year John Reed began his mining operation by forming a partnership with three local men. The partners supplied equipment and workers to dig for gold in the creek bed, while Reed provided the land. The returns were to be divided equally. The men mined mainly in the off-season from farming, giving first priority to raising their crops. Before the end of the first year, a slave named Peter had unearthed a twenty-eight-pound nugget. Using only pans and rockers to wash the creek gravel, the part-time miners recovered an estimated yield of one hundred thousand dollars by 1824.
SPREAD OF PLACER AND LODE GOLD MINING
Hearing of Reedā€™s good fortune, other Piedmont farmers began exploring their creeks and finding gold. Men and women, both young and old, worked in the gold fields. Outsiders joined them, including the skilled Cornishmen from England.
Placer gold mining led to underground mining when it was learned in 1825 that the metal also existed in the veins of white quartz rock. The search for underground gold required much more money, labor, and machinery. Underground work at Reed was not begun until 1831. Four years later a family squabble resulted in a court injunction that closed the mine for a decade.
John Reed was a wealthy man when he died in 1845. Soon the Reed mine was sold at public auction. The mine changed hands many times through the years until 1911, when the last underground work took place there. Placer miners found the last large nugget at Reed in 1896. That nugget weighed approximately twenty-three pounds.
THE BECHTLER GOLD COIN MINT AT RUTHERFORDTON, N.C.
C. Bechtler began operation of a private gold coin mint in 1831 at Rutherfordton, North Carolina. Gold mines and prospectors supplied gold to the mint. Bechtlerā€™s gold coins were widely accepted in trade and are now highly prized by coin collectors. C. Bechtler operated his mint until 1838 and then his son, A. Bechtler, operated it until 1857. In the meantime the U.S. had established mints at Dahlonega, Georgia and Charlotte, North Carolina; yet the private operations of Bechtler were not interfered with, for the reason, it was said, that the Bechtler coins were found to equal or exceed the federal standards of fineness and weight.
The gold sites continue on the adjoining maps of South Carolina, Virginia and Georgia.
Tell a friend
RECREATIONAL GOLD PROSPECTING, GOLD PANNING, TREASURE HUNTING AND ROCKHOUNDING ARE FUN!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aquanut said:
Otto, is about 10 miles south of Franklin, where my friend has some property with a creek running behind his house. Does anyone know if any gold or gems have been found here?
Aquanut

I know gold and gems have been found all around Franklin NC. Franklin being considered by some as the gem capital of the world!
And if I had a creek behind my house in Otto, I would sure be checking it out! The creek may have changed course over the years, so check that out too.

Hope your friend finds a rich deposit that has just been waiting to be discovered.
If he does, tell him to quietly check upstream for the source and then buy that property too. :icon_thumleft:

GG~

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Thanks Guys! Unfortunatley, my friend called the other night and told me a fire had all but destroyed his house and the family had to relocate to his Mom's until they can figure out what to do. Most likely they'll not rebuild.
Aquanut

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aquanut said:
Thanks Guys! Unfortunatley, my friend called the other night and told me a fire had all but destroyed his house and the family had to relocate to his Mom's until they can figure out what to do. Most likely they'll not rebuild.
Aquanut

Sorry to hear about that, a fire is a devastating event.
Hopefully everyone got out alright.

Are you saying he had no insurance?
It sure would help if he were able to discover a valuable gem or mineral deposit on the land.

Prayers sent for him and his family.

GG~

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Well Guys,
Darryl in Otto has been busy cleaning up the mess from the fire and is trying to get his hands on a trailer to put his family in. Lately, the four of them have been staying in an old RV. He's not going to rebuild and considers both the RV and the trailer (when he gets one) as a temporary thing. Thank goodness he got his family out safely at about 1am in the morning when he realized the smoke didn't smell like it was coming from the wood burning stove. Unfortunately that was the coldest night there up to that point this winter. He's thinking about renting the place once the trailer is in place and moving out. Actually, I think he doesn't have a firm plan yet. A life changing event like having your house burn down would leave anyone with no real plan until they can get their thoughts back together. The other bitch of it all is that he's been out of work for some time. Apparently there's not much going on work wise in western North Carolina these past few years. I can't leave my meager earnings to go help him right now and have mentioned trying out the creek behind his house, but I don't think that is on his agenda at the moment.
He's a proud man and refuses me every time I offer to send some money. So I guess it's a wait and see for a while.
Aquanut

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the update I have been wondering how things turned out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread