Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Accidentally stumped upon this article just now. Annoyed when I see people like this discouraging many new metal detectors from wanting to try the hobby, it just angers me. Sad part is, if you look up "Metal Detecting" on Google this article shows up on page 2 of results. Just because the writer had no patience and didn't find anything on his first time out doesn't mean that if you do some research and practice you won't find great stuff. I spent 5 hours today, sick day, trying to find a colonial site to metal detect this weekend. Anyways, Just wanted to rant lol!

The world's worst hobby.

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As soon as I saw the link was to slate and then the article from NPR I knew it would be a waste of time.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw that article many moons ago.
Her whole purpose is to Inject Humor as she sees it in Life.

I Personally Found it Enjoyable to read.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a fact, this hobby is not for everyone, and really, in a way that may be a good thing for the rest of us. I've met with a number of people over the years that at first seem interested, but more often than not, after talking with them a bit, you instinctively know if they really have the interest or not. I've met a couple of guys who said they bought a used detector, but didn't find anything, just a couple of pennies, and then lost interest. When asked what brand they bought, they didn't know. What's that tell ya. Remember that "Whites" commercial? "Found all the good stuff the first day!" Pretty misleading add I thought, and from such a Great Company. We are a rather small, and often misunderstood group, but at least all of us HERE understand each others interest/obsession with the hobby. Long live this Forum I say! In regards to the article? It was an attempt at lite humor I think, that she never took seriously to begin with, just a different experience to write about for a column I think. I've been made fun of, people have walked by going, "Beep,Beep,Beep." A couple of times toss a nickel in front of me, I suppose to see if I'd dive for it. But you know, if they are not detecting, just leaves more out there for the rest of us, besides, as I've said, I've got all you guys. (AND lady's).

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love that article. It reminds me of David Sedaris' writing style.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole thing is 99% of americans will Drop a Dime on the Ground & keep walking.
There is very Little chance they would be Impressed by Digging a Dirty one out the Ground.
Let alone a Rusted Token or Belt plate, Or anything else they are going to need to wash their Hands after .

Unless they Get Rich with Every Dig. it's a Joke to them.

Is that such a Bad Thing ?

Only to Detector Manufacturers & Dealers :laughing7:

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
The whole thing is 99% of americans will Drop a Dime on the Ground & keep walking.
There is very Little chance they would be Impressed by Digging a Dirty one out the Ground.
Let alone a Rusted Token or Belt plate, Or anything else they are going to need to wash their Hands after .

Unless they Get Rich with Every Dig. it's a Joke to them.

Is that such a Bad Thing ?

Only to Detector Manufacturers & Dealers :laughing7:

I have to admit I agree! Less competition, I prefer to find virgin sites vs sites people like me have researched and completely cleaned out.:laughing7:

Also, Most Americans, except maybe those who remember the silver to clad transition are not even aware the pre-1965 coinage is 90% silver, in fact many think they still are silver or don't care either way. I received $16 face of Walker Halves from a store cashier, who happily let me take them for face after I noticed a silver quarter in their tray. They told me that they couldn't get rid of them for months, and no one wanted them! She even knew that they were silver.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread