ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
LOL Skippy. Cheetos like gold. You did state a very valuable part of the equation. You know your area and the people. It isn't like Detroit. I don't pack a gun in my hometown or many of the small cities in Michigan I hunt in. Even with 5 of us hunting in Detroit I packed my 9mm. I thought I would never hunt Detroit but I was talked into it. I didn't wear headphones and watched everything. Not a relaxing enjoyable hunt but it worked.

I caught shoplifters in SLC for over 5 years. You couldn't pay me enough to do it in Detroit or the surrounding areas.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two things here.
1) The idea that I should be more careful, or potentially NOT done something to stop the situation because he COULD have pulled a gun is just fear. Fear keeps people from doing the right thing. If we let bad people get away with bad things, because we're afraid of them, then they win. Every time. It's why bad guys with guns get a foothold. Everyone becomes "afraid," to stand up. I'm not sure that's what your saying, but I wanted to clarify, that's not going to stop me from saying something. The situation might, but general fear? Nope.
2) I would say you're probably correct in MOST cities. Where I live, violent crime is pretty much non-existent, except with the occasional domestic problem. Many of my neighbors still don't even lock their doors (though lately, we're all having to lock our cars, because of robbers from neighboring cities come through and check for unlocked cars at 2am... been a rash of them lately).

Also, Idaho has one of the largest concealed carry populations in the USA (per capita), and now with the recent law passed allowing concealed carry in cities WITHOUT a permit (I'm not going into whether or not that's a stupid or grand idea) it's going to be even higher. Most kids around here know and are taught that 1 out of every 20 people in the State is likely to be packing (that's the rate of concealed permit holders to total population in Idaho)... with a higher percentage actually IN the cities (where it's required). A full half of my friends carry full time. I'd be willing to wager, thinking back of who was in the store, there were probably 2-3 guns in folks' back pants. And the likelihood that a tall normal looking beefy 15 year old in a hoodie was carrying one... here, in my town, 20 minutes after school got out? Next to zero. This isn't Detroit. The large population of concealed carry is dang strong deterrent for petty criminals, in my opinion.

Say what you will about guns and permits and whatnot... all I know is that my city has an EXTREMELY low crime rate, with gun violence being pretty much non-existent. In fact, City was recently in the top 10 of Best Places to live in the USA. I suspect it also has one of the highest concealed permit populations in the state, too. I do NOT suggest that's "causation," but correlation is strong, for sure.

BUT... that being said, I've been in other situations where people looked "off" and "desperate" grabbing that beer (I was traveling through another state). I didn't confront the individual. I simply told the clerk as the person bolted from the store. There's brave, and then there's stupid. I doubt the person had a gun, but I'm pretty sure he'd have clawed his way through EVERYTHING to get that beer out of the store. Don't know what he was on, but it wasn't Mac and Cheese. He can have the beer. They had his photo. I reported it.

It's about situational awareness.

I'd also fully squared myself with the kid before I confronted him. I've NO doubt, I intimidated him, without threatening him. Had he done something stupid, I'd have been ALL over him.

Now... all that being said... a fat lot of good that might have done me with a bullet in my gut, but he would NOT have gotten away with the bag of Cheetos.

Cheetos are like gold, in my book. Got to be defended.

:)

Yer heart is the right place Skippy, but yer spinnin' the cylinder and playin' Russian roulette anywhere else. If you feel comfortable confronting shop lifters in your town, go right ahead on. It's not a matter of fear, just good judgement.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skippy, your not the only one who would have said something....👍

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I've stopped such theft within the past few years. Also confronted a guy who left his older car running while pumping gas - and the engine was missing. I stopped pumping and drove the truck clear, then went in to pay for what I got. Then this guy had the nerve to try to make ME out to be the bad guy!!

Oh, and the theft attempt was over a beer. Also stopped some kids from stealing liquor just by continually walking up and lurking around the beverage cooler - they were FAR too young to drink and were acting too suspicious. Not a word was said that time.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've stopped such theft within the past few years. Also confronted a guy who left his older car running while pumping gas - and the engine was missing. I stopped pumping and drove the truck clear, then went in to pay for what I got. Then this guy had the nerve to try to make ME out to be the bad guy!!

Oh, and the theft attempt was over a beer. Also stopped some kids from stealing liquor just by continually walking up and lurking around the beverage cooler - they were FAR too young to drink and were acting too suspicious. Not a word was said that time.

Boy am I confused. How can you have an older car running while pumping gas with the engine missing? Maybe he was getting gas so he would have it when he found his engine?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread