kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Skippy wrote, " For some it's all or nothing, and if not only haven't attempted repeatedly to find an owner, and are declaring publicly that you're attempting a return, they'll flog you and insinuate you're a bad person. At the other end, I've seen posts of self-professed "pirates" who far cross lines many of us would take, and posts of others who literally have found things dropped in store entrances and clearly not bothered to check with the store to see if someone is missing it... for them, someone lost it, they found it, all is good in the world."

I was once in a hotel restaurant in Finland. Nobody else was in there, as the person behind the counter (the hotel owner - in the slow season) had stepped out. I was sitting by a window just thinking. Then a young boy rode up on his bicycle, came in the restaurant, stretched his little body as far as he could to reach a soda in the ice bin. He then got the money from his pocket. He waited and waited, but nobody ever came in. Without hesitating, he suddenly put the money back in his pocket, replaced the soda down "into" the ice and started to leave. Then he noticed a coin on the floor. Nobody was around and he still had not seen me there - I was sorta hidden behind a post. He again stretched his little body and placed the coin on the edge of the register, then happily went on his way.

I was amazed!! I thought how wonderful it was that this little boy would be so honest. I wanted so much to find his parents and praise them for having such a good "young man" and for obviously being such good parents.

Then it hit me. ...Why was I so amazed by this small act of honesty? How is it that this young boy had stirred such feelings inside me? Then I remembered - MOST kids wouldn't have been that way when and where I grew up - maybe me included.

This was a very small town just south of the Arctic Circle. Life was simple and, for the most part, low- or no-tech (mid-90's). I'm sure things have changed in 20 years, especially as technology has shared SO MUCH of the outside, more modern world with these more-remote areas. There's a lot of trash out there - and most of it you don't have to dig for!!

So a special Thank you to ScubaDetector, Skippy and others here for not only speaking out, but for being good examples and role models of how you really can be honest and successful at the same time!!

...By the way, back then I thought that it would have been ok for the little boy to leave the money and take the soda - it appeared he had exact change. However, after thinking about it for a while, some employee might have come in, not known why the money was there and maybe things could have gotten fouled up. Or, maybe someone NOT-so-honest might come in, see the money and take it. So in hindsight, I think the little boy's actions were flawless.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
"Just because it seems like most EVERYONE else is willing to "deceive" or "lie by half-truth" doesn't mean that it's ok."

Not to mention lies of omission.

I know that there's good in everyone, and I know that most people are good most of the time. It's that last bit we need to be wary of - the "inconvenient" times. It's taken me a lot of years to get over that one, and actually it's still a work-in-progress. Probably always will be.

So long as someone truly is doing the best they can, I can have nothing but praise for them! ...Just gotta keep telling myself that we all stumble now and then - INCLUDING me! And as long as we turn those times into beneficial lessons, it should continue to become more and more easy to be the kind of person we like to portray ourselves as.

...Not directing this towards anyone - can easily substitute "me" for "we" in every place. ...Just that it's easier for "me" to write it that way! :tongue3:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI, if a member suspects a find is not an actual find the proper procedure is to contact mods and express your concearns, do not challenge the find in the open forums...

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
FYI, if a member suspects a find is not an actual find the proper procedure is to contact mods and express your concearns, do not challenge the find in the open forums...

Noted. and I did and apologized. The OP himself brought out the questions though. He stated himself that he found coins dated in the 40's under a street that was paved in the 30's. He also stated himself that he found the gold today and the dime tomorrow. Since he brought the questions on himself on his own thread, I tried to clarify it in the same place.

Note to self. Do not comment on posts like that anymore.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
As I don't know what the heck you two are talking about, all I'll say is this:
If someone makes a mistake, such as finding a '40's coin under a '30's street, AND if that person isn't OP, then by all means PM him/her. If the OP is the one making the erred statements, I don't think it's "wrong" to address it in open forum (respectfully), but I, personally, would probably send a PM.

One last thing - has anyone considered how many times that a street paved in the 1930's has had potholes filled?? It's possible to find a 2015 coin under a 1930's road, right where a pothole (or washout or freeze/thaw crack) was located.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, I've seen fire and I've seen rain.
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end.
I've seen lonely days when I could not find a friend.

Well James had other thoughts in mind when he wrote this, but it could very well apply to detecting.

Frank 6 06-1 Yellowstone 119-2.jpg

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I don't know what the heck you two are talking about, all I'll say is this:
If someone makes a mistake, such as finding a '40's coin under a '30's street, AND if that person isn't OP, then by all means PM him/her. If the OP is the one making the erred statements, I don't think it's "wrong" to address it in open forum (respectfully), but I, personally, would probably send a PM.

One last thing - has anyone considered how many times that a street paved in the 1930's has had potholes filled?? It's possible to find a 2015 coin under a 1930's road, right where a pothole (or washout or freeze/thaw crack) was located.
I'm with you on that. Suppose a pipe is laid in the '30's street later on.
Marvin

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HA! Well, thank you for the thank you. :) Truthfully, I think the honesty and integrity thing are declining at an alarming rate. I've been working hard to teach my boys that integrity isn't always easy, but it's well worth it. Just because it seems like most EVERYONE else is willing to "deceive" or "lie by half-truth" doesn't mean that it's ok. There are so many examples in the world that suggest that because others are willing to turn a blind eye, or even participate, it's got to be hard for kids today to grow up even having an inkling of what it means to "keep your word" or understand "honor."

It's hard to watch.

A few months ago, I was in a convenience store and walked around a corner to see a large youth stick a bag of chips under his sweatshirt. I didn't even hesitate. In a loud voice, I said, "DID YOU JUST STEAL THAT?" His response was incredulous. "Come on man, keep it down, I don't have the money to pay for it. It's just a bag of chips!" I couldn't believe he was trying to convince me to let him walk out! it just blew my mind. He'd been caught red-handed, and his first reaction wasn't regret or apology, but rather convincing the "catcher" that it should be OK, because he didn't bring money. Good grief.

I, of course, didn't stand for it. I yelled, "PUT IT BACK, NOW." I then walked behind him as he walked over to the stand, and then I pointed at the door and growled, 'GET OUT, and don't come back.'

He turned tail and bolted. The cashiers had like 5-6 people in line, and were oblivious to the whole thing. I just shook my head at the whole situation and continued on. I often wonder if the kid got the message. Was he embarrassed because he got CAUGHT, or because he was STEALING? I somehow suspect the first. I don't think I'll ever know, but I reaffirmed then, to make sure my boys understand that if something isn't right, you SET IT right.

If more people stood up for good, I think "bad" wouldn't have such a foothold. So many folks are unwilling to confront it. Someday it'll bite me in the butt, and I'll probably get my clock rattled, but I doubt I'll regret it then, either.

So much of life is black and white, and doesn't need to be included in the grey. If you're intentionally trying to deceive someone, or "talk your way" into keeping something, it's probably wrong, ya know?

Skippy

What you did was right, Skippy but, be very careful. Nowdays, unless you are armed, he could have pulled a gun out and shot you. Doesn't matter if it was just for a bag of chips....this great country is becoming morally bankrupt!! What a shame!!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Historically speaking we use to be a whole lot worse. There was a time even the sailors were afraid to walk the seaports.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Speaking of sailors a guy on my ship had an 8-track and was a big help on those long voyages. The
longest was over seven months at sea.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been on forums long enough to see first hand how some people get bent out of shape over opinions of others. People form judgemental attitudes and feelings get hurt. I have seen it come and go on every forum I have been on.

GUILTY.... Did it tonight on the political forum... just hit a nerve. Wish I hadn't now.... Sorry.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
GUILTY.... Did it tonight on the political forum... just hit a nerve. Wish I hadn't now.... Sorry.

Are you admitting to being human??? Say it isn't so!

We all have nerves that get hit. Liars are one with me. Glad the mods try to be non judgmental. We might all be banned.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All's fair in Love and Politics.
Marvin

Sent from my Abacus connected to my Sundial

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I'm surprised a tree would lie to you. You must have found the bad one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread