Out comes the old stuff ....Daytona Beach

Clyp

Jul 1, 2006
South Central Orlando
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not very often that I have a day like I did Saturday. Wait, I have never had a day like I did Saturday. It started bright and early Sat. Low tide was around 8 and I was in the surf well before. Until recently the surf conditions at Daytona have never allowed me to move into the mine. Water edge has been the best I can do. The waves were breaking out beyond the first sand bar making the last 40 yards of surf pretty calm. Within this first 40 yards a nice long hole had opened up and there were several of us working it. In the first half hour I saw four rings come up. I hit my first ring about 30 minutes after that. It’s the small Naval Air Force ring. Twenty minutes later I had hit my second ring the 1946 Valley Vocational High school ring. I was very concerned about dropping one so I never spent much time examining the golden ticket. I just dropped them in the zippered pouch and moved on. It wasn’t much longer before I hit the third ring. When I pulled the 1931 class ring out I was on cloud 9. At the time, I had no idea of the dates on either of these rings I had pulled up. After pulling the 4th ring out (a small brass kids ring with a blue stone) I called it a day. The first ring has a deep copper color so I wasn’t sure if it was real. The 2nd and 3rd ring both had the golden hue so I felt confident they were gold. At the end of the hunt when I found the age of the rings you couldn’t have slapped the smile off my face with a frying pan. ;D
To top it off they were all stamped 10K gold. All of these rings are small and I am pretty certain they are women’s rings. They sure didn’t make the Excal yell gold like it has done in the past. I stayed for Saturday night’s low tide and managed to pull a mercury dime and a silver quarter out before darkness and surf conditions prevented us from hunting anymore. All in all it was a fabulous couple of hunts my final take was three silver quarters, two Mercury dimes, one rosie, and three gold rings plus the standard change and junk.

Attachments

• DSC_0179.JPG
    DSC_0179.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 673
  • DSC_0170.JPG
    DSC_0170.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 678
  • DSC_0171.JPG
    DSC_0171.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 679
  • DSC_0176a.JPG
    DSC_0176a.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 655
  • DSC_0178.JPG
    DSC_0178.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 660
Upvote 0

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
oh man , would had loved to been there, the old rings, my kind of hunting, just shows its there all this time, just got it hit it at the right time , and you did, great timing guys, ...rjnail

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"At the end of the hunt when I found the age of the rings you couldn’t have slapped the smile off my face with a frying pan."

I thought about giving it a shot you dog...... ;D

Good hunt Clyp.

Chicago Ron

Apr 12, 2005
In the Lake in Chicago
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-trac, Excaliber II, GPX-5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, congrats and keep em coming as long as the door is open!!!

Chicago Ron

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
will try and get down that way labor day week, and give it a try.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just think of all the years those rings may have been under the surf and it is amazing. It would be great if you could find a living relative of one of the older rings. Monty

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was using a Minelab Excal as were 5 other of us, one guy on the beach was using a Minelab Sovereign GT with the WOT coil, which I also used when the surf got too rough to stay in the hole on the incoming tide...

Looked like a Minelab demostration on how to hunt water....LOL

DR

Feb 22, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excal 1000
I too witnessed the frying pan proof smile.
And got to hold the goodies too!
I'm hoping that kind of mojo rubs off a little.
Great rings and a great day.
Glad I could share it with you and the rest of the crew.
DR

OP
OP
Clyp

Clyp

Jul 1, 2006
South Central Orlando
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What makes it really fun is the friends you make along the way. ;D DR and Treasure_Hunter are the best and so were the rest of the hunters I met. Some I had seen before others I never met. All of us in search of the little thrill we get when we find something good.

I have scoured the internet on info about the schools. The 1946 class ring has Valley Vocational High School written on it. The 1931 class ring only has initials of the school it was from. I have yet to pinpoint a school and since they are so old I have no idea if it exists anymore. I think it would be way cool to see the look on someones face after you return a ring to them thats been lost for years. I don't think that will happen with these. These rings will never hit the smelter though, they are just to cool to ever be scrapped.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's good, if you did I might sneak some concrete in your water boots. ;D

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
if that person was 18years old in 1931 then they would be 94 years old today..if my "math" is right. could stilll be alive.

Loosemoose

Jun 13, 2007
Sydney Australia
Detector(s) used
Excal
What a day Clyp, theres a lot more to this beach and water hunting than I first thought. Those rings are old, makes you wonder how much of that stuff is out there. WTG.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread