Pennies in a line in the surf?

Kut2TheChase

Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 NATO - Explorer SE
So, two weeks with my new excalibur and things are going slow. I did manage to find a small silver or white gold heart with a small diamond in it on a thin chain (unbroken) in the dry sand at the beach.
Besides that I have noticed a parculiar pattern for me. Seems I get into the surf line and like a sand piper I go along the waters edge and hit pennies, usually at the same depth and usually in a line down the beach!
Why oh WHY couldnt it be gold rings!?
So, I need to ask some experienced hunters about this phenomenom. WHat does this mean? Is gold or silver higher up or lower down the "penny line"? Is gold deeper?
The surf here in Jersey is no joke, it beats the heck outta me and today I found mostly junk, a toy car and lotsa pennies. Also, the sea is strange, it seems to me that when I get a signal and go to dig, suddenly the waves seem to come in harder and stronger, as if the sea is trying to keep what it has...
So, any tips?

Upvote 0

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most beaches are cleaned daily by some sort of beach cleaning machine. Could be that the machine is causing this strange line of pennies. I know at the beach I hunt, I frequently find clusters of coins where the beach rake makes its U-turn. As far as gold and silver goes, I have been having trouble finding it myself. ;D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason for the like targets beig in a line or piled together is covered in the site thegoldenolde.com/

It's not just the beach cleaning equipement, its the way the surf moves objects around. It helps to work a W pattern in the "line" to find like targets.

If it was easy, why would we do it.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
as sandman said... check out www.thegoldenolde.com

as for the surf... that's just one of the things we have to deal with as water hunters. You can minimize it by timing the tides... but who wants to be IN the water at 3am on some random morning?

yeah... the surf tends to beat you up... but as you get used to it... it gets easier... or you just don't notice it as much.

steve

OP
OP
Kut2TheChase

Kut2TheChase

Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 NATO - Explorer SE
Thanks Sandman, I guess your right, why would we?
I was just thinking that maybe if pennies lined up at a certain depth and position, then gold and silver should behave the same. I wanted to know if it would be above or below the penny line...
Im at work now, and I wish I was hunting =)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like SM says I usually work a zigzag pattern in the water till I find a good target, I then work a close pattern out from it to see if any more targets are in the same area.

Surf is the sea's way of protecting the treasure. Murphy's law is the surf is gentle till you find a good signal then the crashing wave's continue to hit you hard while your trying to dig it.

Couple targets this weekend I had to give up on as low tide was passed, I was in water up to my mid-chest, and crashing waves just would not let me recover it. You naturally think on those times the signal has to have be something good, especially when gold is being recovered int he area. .

T

TreasureTales

The coins wash into a line because the sand surf work together to create a sort of a natural sluice box...that area where the surf meets the sand and leaves the pennies behind is often referred to as the "wash line." If you can consistently find the wash line (just look for seaweed, where wet sand meets dry sand, or where there are ripples in the sand surface) you can consistently find rings and other treasures. You might want to slow down your swing, make sure your headphones are properly over your ears for maximum sound quality, and dig all signals. That really is the key to finding gold rings...dig all signals. So often the good rings are often hard to hear. Here's something to keep in mind, if you can find nickels you can also find gold. Also, study the areas that the people congregate when in the water. As the cold water hits a warm hand, rings can slip off. So pay attention to where people enter and exit the surf.

So to recap:
1) Find the wash line and follow it.
2) Dig all signals
3) Listen closely for faint signals
4) Practice finding nickels if you want to find gold.
5) Work slowly and methodically.
6) Watch the people in the surf

Good luck (oh, ps - Rome wasn't built in a day, neither was a metal detectorist...don't expect too much too fast.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread