Outer Banks 6 Hunt-DAY 4-OUTSTANDING SPANISH COB-Ends up a COPY!!!!

Jimmy D

Jul 10, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro, Minelab X-Terra 70
Well today is day 4 in our Outer Banks Metal Detecting trip, went ventured farther south towards Duck. We found an area of the beach that was signficantly eroded by the Nor Easters this past week. This cob was found about 4 inches deep in the sand, approximatley 10 feet from the dune area, the dunes in this area were severely cut by the storms. This is the best cob I have ever seen, has outstanding detail, some areas are hard to see for the hardend sand. I took the best pics I could with the camera we have with us.................This cob is much larger than the one we found eariler in the week. I posted the pics on the Spanish Cob board also looking for assistance with the markings....................We also found alot of modern coins, but did not take pictures of those, becuase this is the best find of the year for us........................

The size of the cob is about the same size of a quarter.....

NOTE: With the assistance of forum members, this cob clearly is a modern reproduction, someone must have threw this out on the beach. "Dirty Trick", but still got my blood going. Thanks for the help identifiying this guys........

Attachments

• DSC01449 [].JPG
    DSC01449 [].JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 738
  • DSC01450 [].JPG
    DSC01450 [].JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 734
  • DSC01449 [].JPG
    DSC01449 [].JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 724
  • DSC01450 [].JPG
    DSC01450 [].JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 716
Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Outer Banks 6 Hunt-DAY 4-OUTSTANDING SPANISH COB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG you lucky dog.. that is totally awesome.. congrats big time..

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Did it ring in high tone like silver should? For some reason the strike strikes me funny as does the white corrosion. When I see a repro. cob it's not usally a 2 reale, and not really like this. I probably just need to snap another coffee into me. :thumbsup:

Rob (B.C.)

Apr 14, 2009

I knew as soon as I saw the corrosion! :(

Sorry, but your cob is a modern copy. You can see the word "COPY" upside down at the top of your first pic.......Keep hunting! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Jimmy D

Jimmy D

Jul 10, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Iron Patch said:
Did it ring in high tone like silver should? For some reason the strike strikes me funny as does the white corrosion. When I see a repro. cob it's not usally a 2 reale, and not really like this. I probably just need to snap another coffee into me.

I use a Minelab Quattro and it hit 37 (Silver range), those white spots are hardend sand, I did not want to scrape it off with my finger nail in fear of damaging the cob.......

OP
OP
Jimmy D

Jimmy D

Jul 10, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Rob (B.C.) said:

Sorry, but your cob is a modern copy. You can see the word "COPY" upside down at the top of your first pic.......Keep hunting! :icon_thumright:

YOU ARE RIGHT, someone got us today. I assure you this was dug on the beach, but I do clearly see the word COPY with the mag glass. Thanks for the info

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rob (B.C.) said:

Yep, I was worried about this one. Too bad. I never think to look for the word, but often times there is at least a trace of it.

I have seen corrosion that is kinda close to that. It's really gritty and from finds dug in salt water. Usually not that light colored though.

Rob (B.C.)

Apr 14, 2009

Iron Patch said:
Rob (B.C.) said:

Yep, I was worried about this one. Too bad.

Yep, too bad, but the adreneline had to be great!! :headbang:

Don't feel bad, Jimmy. Lots of people have found those "copy" coins and thought they had the real deal. :icon_thumright:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well it was closer than most of will ever get to finding one. :coffee2:

OP
OP
Jimmy D

Jimmy D

Jul 10, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Rob, thanks.....at least now I know what to look for on these things. I would have never thought we would have found a fake cob on the beach but clearly they are there.............

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimmy D said:
Rob, thanks.....at least now I know what to look for on these things. I would have never thought we would have found a fake cob on the beach but clearly they are there.............

There's many without the word copy but usually it's not needed... they're just not made as good. (or in some cases too good)

OP
OP
Jimmy D

Jimmy D

Jul 10, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Iron Patch said:
Jimmy D said:

There's many without the word copy but usually it's not needed... they're just not made as good. (or in some cases too good)

I would agree, the detail seemed excellent for a coin that old in the sand and ocean........

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The longer someone detects the more they realize you don't need anyone playing dirty tricks, because they happen anyway! I can think of a real bad one the ground played on me a couple of years ago. If I was to put some thought into it there's probably a couple more too. A friend (Frenchy Marc) had the worst one ever... I only wish I had been there... just the story had me on the floor!

BeachHugger

Sep 13, 2006
Jimmy, don't feel too bad about the "copy" Spanish Cob you found on the beach. They are sold in the local gift shops and people love to buy them and toss them on the beach. We dig them all the time. It doesn't take but a couple of them to realize you don't have the real thing. It was me who spoke with you and your Dad on the beach earlier this week and opened the horse fence for you to go through. Remember? I stopped and had my hunting buddie show you the ring with the 3 big diamonds.
Hunting has been pretty good up there this week...lots of coins...(200 per day)..., but not enough gold...that's come later in the year...we had a few gold rings this week....but mostly silver....did find a really nice Seiko watch yesterday...great condition and it was still ticking....(100m depth on it)....hope you enjoy the Outer Banks...
Seaweed.
www.outerbanksnc.net

Attachments

• treasurenet.jpg
    treasurenet.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 463

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
ah the seaweed shows himself!!! i tried getting ahold of him both times before i went to the banks (no reply) his stories are what inspired me to go and im glad i did i love that place. willy

OP
OP
Jimmy D

Jimmy D

Jul 10, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
BeachHugger said:
Jimmy, don't feel too bad about the "copy" Spanish Cob you found on the beach. They are sold in the local gift shops and people love to buy them and toss them on the beach. We dig them all the time. It doesn't take but a couple of them to realize you don't have the real thing. It was me who spoke with you and your Dad on the beach earlier this week and opened the horse fence for you to go through. Remember? I stopped and had my hunting buddie show you the ring with the 3 big diamonds.
Hunting has been pretty good up there this week...lots of coins...(200 per day)..., but not enough gold...that's come later in the year...we had a few gold rings this week....but mostly silver....did find a really nice Seiko watch yesterday...great condition and it was still ticking....(100m depth on it)....hope you enjoy the Outer Banks...
Seaweed.
www.outerbanksnc.net

Beachhugger, yes I remember.....never had the chance to thank you for the information on the Horse gate. Very good to know....also you guys have be most grateful, everyone one of your guys stopped by and spoke with us, extremely nice and full of great advice. That ring was VERY nice, I also agree with the silver. Yesterday I found 2 more silver rings just South of where we spoke to you. Again thank you very much for the information and assistance. If you every get to Maryland let me know.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread