outhouse

ozsarah

Jun 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I am Sarah from Osawatomie, Ks. I live in a home that I was told was built in 1910 however upon further research I found out the house was built in 1905. I went to City Hall, Court Records and Mapping and although everyone was trying to be helpful I did not get very far. Today I was told the house could have been on a cistern well instead of having an outhouse. Nobody has any records to help...how do I go about starting to look. A relative suggested that if there was an outhouse it would have been a direct line from the back door. Than you in Advance

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome from Mississippi.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters -- welcome to our community!

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I am Sarah from Osawatomie, Ks. I live in a home that I was told was built in 1910 however upon further research I found out the house was built in 1905. I went to City Hall, Court Records and Mapping and although everyone was trying to be helpful I did not get very far. Today I was told the house could have been on a cistern well instead of having an outhouse. Nobody has any records to help...how do I go about starting to look. A relative suggested that if there was an outhouse it would have been a direct line from the back door. Than you in Advance

Out of curiosity, why do you want to know this? There is a truth that an old outhouse is a great place to find lost coins and other pocket relics, but if yours existed and it was filled in, there's a probability most of what was dropped, so to speak, is too far underground for a detector to pick up signal-wise... :icon_scratch:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! :occasion14:

IMHO: When I'm looking for a outhouse seek round or square (+/- 3 foot) areas where the ground is settling (depressions), then probe with a rod or dig a pilot hole. Others will also give you some great ideas.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard Sarah! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Kansas for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Maryland. I too like to know the location of the outhouse. Outhouse visits at night, in poor weather, maybe carrying a candle, make for dropped keys, coins, etc. The first two things I want to know about an old homesite: outhouse and clothes line location.

A cistern would have provided water to bathe, wash clothes, cook and drink (best filtered).

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome !

some Use Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps to locate Outhouses, (If they can find Them)
Not All areas Have Maps available.

But Yes if there is a Sidewalk that Runs From your Back Door
to the Back of the Property
That is the General Location.

Easy to Walk at in the Middle of the Night.
and Smell is as Far from the House as Possible.

Examples

000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg

My Suggestion would be to ask in our
Bottles & Glass

Section.

As That is what I'm sure Your Looking For
& Most of Our Outhouse Diggers Post their Finds There.
They are More Likely to be able to give Hints.

If your Property Goes into the 1800's Expect Both Sides of the walk to have been Used over the Years Expect that the Location May have Been Moved
Several Times. Especially Where Big Families Lived.

Figure at last occasionally a Family would start digging a New one & hit Trash or Ashes, Causing them to Look for a 3rd. or 4th. Spot in the same General Area.

000ccc.jpg

& Yes ! I am old Enough To be Going By
Were Outhouses Still Existed in My Early years

Good Luck !

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Just some points to make in agreement with some of the other statements on this thread.

I put the first running water, toilet, and septic tank in my house here in 1983.

The outhouse was directly out the back door.

There's a very noticeable depression in the ground where it stood.

Edit: I always checked under the seat for spiders before I sat down!!! Granny always said "watch out for the spiders".

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just some points to make in agreement with some of the other statements on this thread.

I put the first running water, toilet, and septic tank in my house here in 1983.

The outhouse was directly out the back door.

There's a very noticeable depression in the ground where it stood.

Edit: I always checked under the seat for spiders before I sat down!!! Granny always said "watch out for the spiders".

first septic Tank & Bathroom80's or 90's here too.
Did have running water to the Kitchen But everything ran to the Gutter out Front.

Last one I tore down was in the early 2000's it was falling down, & was almost filled with trash already, Just needed Leveling.
I topped it off with the ashes from My Burn Barrel.

Sat in the area of the Red X

DSCF0001.JPG
DSCF0001.JPG

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Ann Arbor Tommy

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:hello: Hello andwelcome from Southeast Louisiana... "D"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread