Outlaw or Vaquero?

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking to buy one of these....The oulaw with the 3 coils or the vaquero with an extra 5.75 coil. What is the benefits of each? Which will do better finding old silver coins in a mess of square nails? But still do well on civil war fields finding those deep bullets, etc.??? I know where ther is an outlaw i can test drive but the vaquero is very appealing aswell.....?????

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, am i right in assuming that a Vaquero is a Cibola with a ground balance knob added? I havent been able to find any other difference in the two of them....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go with the Outlaw. It operates at a lower frequency so will be quieter in trash when looking for silver, and the 12x10 coil will work well on deep bullets. - My 2-cents

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
That was my question in the summer. I went with the Outlaw w/3 coils and am extremely pleased with it.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys.....my stepdad just bought an outlaw with 3 coils after hearing me talk about one for the last month....so i can try his out before buying my own.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, am i right in assuming that a Vaquero is a Cibola with a ground balance knob added? I havent been able to find any other difference in the two of them....

That is not a true statement as the Cibola has a different micro processor program, therefore disc properties are one thing that are slightly different.

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Go with the Outlaw. It operates at a lower frequency so will be quieter in trash when looking for silver, and the 12x10 coil will work well on deep bullets. - My 2-cents

I agree with Terry,

I like my Outlaw it does run quieter and it is more stable in trash than my Vaguero was (I like the lower 10.6 Khz frequency on the Outlaw) both the Outlaw & Vaguero are good detectors and both have a manuel Ground Balance. . The Outlaw with the 3 coil package, it's hard to beet for the price :icon_thumright:. Also the Cibola & the Vaguero are pretty much the same over all. There may be some diffrent programing around the processor and disk functions between the two. The Cibola does cost less and does not have a manuel ground balance it is a fixed GB unit. (I prefer the adjustable GB over fixed any day myself can be ajusted to more ground types correctly)
Happy Hunting, :occasion14:
Bill G

Last edited:

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
I think the Outlaw is probably the best buy and would do better on silver and should do good on bullets. The vaquero would be my choice for relic hunting or gold. JMO

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't realize the lower frequency machines were quitter in the trash. Learn something new every day. I have been looking hard at a Tesoro for a second machine and would much prefer quiet and smooth even if I gave up a little depth. Just can't make up my mind which one to go with. I have a T2 and will say it is pretty awesome on depth and does a descent job in the trash but would like a quieter machine scouting and in some of the heavy trash. The machine would be a back-up as well as a loaner. Was thinking about the Cibola for simplicity as a loaner and still gets good depth but I personally prefer to ground balance. Would love to have a really smooth quiet machine for a break. The T2 is pretty awesome but sure is chatty. Sorry to hijack but gained some good info. :icon_thumleft:

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I didn't realize the lower frequency machines were quitter in the trash. Learn something new every day. I have been looking hard at a Tesoro for a second machine and would much prefer quiet and smooth even if I gave up a little depth. Just can't make up my mind which one to go with. I have a T2 and will say it is pretty awesome on depth and does a descent job in the trash but would like a quieter machine scouting and in some of the heavy trash. The machine would be a back-up as well as a loaner. Was thinking about the Cibola for simplicity as a loaner and still gets good depth but I personally prefer to ground balance. Would love to have a really smooth quiet machine for a break. The T2 is pretty awesome but sure is chatty. Sorry to hijack but gained some good info. :icon_thumleft:

Don't know for sure lower frequency is quieter than higher (someone can correct me if wrong here) but lower does better on silver. The reason the Outlaw is quieter has to do more with the proccesor and the cercuitry set up of the detector. The vaguero, Cibola & Tejon are high gain cercuitry high frequency units so by nature there more erratic and noisy in certain situations and more prone to instability in trash and iron trash infested areas ( but the gain can really be pushed for that little extra depth sometimes such as for a deep relic). Higher frequency units do responde to very small gold items like nuggets and so on a little better than lower most of the time.

The Outlaw has a nice balance of hitting silver and gold with the 10.6 Khz frequency and enough power to go deep without being unstable with good Tesoro discrimination capabilitys and a nice smooth quiet performing cercuitry and or proccessor.

Note the T2 you mentioned is a high gain high frequency unit therefore it is prone to being chatty.

Happy Hunting, :occasion14:
Bill G

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some seem to think the Cibola with a manual ground balance modification is hotter than the standard Vaq. Haven't actually seen this, it's just been mentioned on several forums I've read.
luvsdux

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want the deeper machine go for the Vaquero. I don't find it to be noisy at all in the iron. Then again with the Outlaw you can do pretty well all-around, too. The non-motion All Metal is a nice feature to have where there's a lot of iron trash.

The extra depth capability makes me lean toward the Vaquero, but... you can't go too wrong w/ either one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread