Overnight road trip to PA

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Billker had emailed me back in the winter about doing a hunt together on property of a relative of a friend of his. Since it wasn't too far of a drive for me I took him up on his offer. Fortunately also Nate didn't have any rainouts for the week to make up on Saturday.
We got to the campsite by 7 pm hitting a few spots along the way.

tripM-1.jpg

We had the tent up in no time.

Natewithtent.jpg

We hung out with Bill swapping stories and cooking some grub by the fire. Camping seemed great until the sleeping thing.....party animals kept us up until 1:30 am. I tried stuffing klenex in my ears but it still didn't do the trick.

Sunday we eagerly set out early on the hunt. Not really knowing the condition of the road into the site we parked at the end.

BillandNate800.jpg

We all started together then split up, came back together, discussed the relationship of where the foundation was relative to the spring and road, looked more, etc.

Woodstructure.jpg

After about 2-3 hours Nate and I were going to call it quits but we decided to try exploring one more area.

Nategoingintowoods.jpg

I gave Nate instructions (kids always listen to their parents ) but when he started going out of sight I yelled over to him to inquire what he was doing. He must not have heard me and just kept going. It only took about 15 minutes for me to do my route. After another 15 minutes I started thinking he found the foundation and was digging all kinds of goodies. But after about 45 minutes I realized he was lost. I wasn't too concerned but didn't want to waste the rest of the day. After about an hour and 15 minutes I started getting a little concerned. I drove up and down the roads and finally I heard a “Hey!” from inside the woods. After that we met back up with Bill, had some lunch and bid farwell.

On the way back we stopped at a place that looked like it could produce something. I found a couple mercs, wheats and such and we were about to move on when Nate calls over “Score!”. I hurry over to see a nice barber dime in the dirt. We then started going really slow because we realized how deep some of the coins were.

MercsFront.jpg

Mercsback.jpg

Also with the realization of the potential of the site I started digging all nickel signals. I was awarded with a nickel trifecta:

NickelsfrontA.jpg

NickelsBack.jpg

The soil was not very kind to any metal alloy except silver:

Wheats.jpg

We stopped at one other site along the way and after that Nate said he was worn out and just wanted to get home. All in all a fun little adventure. Thanks again for the invite Bill!

Bob

Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find's Bob/Nate....Sound's like an awesome trip with some Great find's.....The 19' Merc look's smaller than the rest :dontknow: It's alway's good to hook up with a fellow T-Netter :thumbsup:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Post.

Congrats an the cool Finds !

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob,
Great post and pictures. Way to go on the old coins. :icon_thumleft: I'm glad you found Nate o.k. I had heard a story of some rabid Amish folk living in them thar parts of the woods. :tongue3:
By the way, that was me and my family in that tent you heard all the noise coming from. Sorry. ;D
Take care buddy,
Doug
P.S. Sud's sends his love.

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, anytime you are in my neck of the woods let me know. Would be glad to join up with you. Nice finds.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys need to get some Motorola Radio walkies talkie things. Getting lost is not cool, if he really got lost you both would have a very bad time. If people are going to go into the deep woods and hunt you need a compass, maps and some kind of cell phone, walkies talkie, or radio at the very least. Otherwise you need a change of clothing and socks some kind of shelter tarp or tent, matches or a lighter. Never go out of site from your hunting partners. So if you do get really lost you can at least stay alive until found.

Sounds like a lot but its not if your talking about staying alive. You don't want your tombstone to say, "Died doing what they loved to do"

Nice finds, Hunt safe !

Keep @ it and HH!!

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob i can`t believe i missed this post.
I thought only Nate got lucky. Great finds :thumbsup:
Hopefully when i visit the area again i`ll get permission to detect a couple of the nearby property's and maybe get a chance to detect the property you and Nate found all your goodies on.

Schrecky said:
Man, anytime you are in my neck of the woods let me know. Would be glad to join up with you. Nice finds.

Schrecky a friend of mine told me i should contact you since your so close to where we were but that was only a couple of days before i left so i`ll keep you in mind next time i make it up that way again.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awsome finds an story line ......awsome finds guys :icon_thumleft:

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice pics, story and finds, guys. Glad you were able to hook up.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice days digs :icon_thumright:

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Congrats on the silver, and on time well spent with buddies!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
civilman1 said:
Great find's Bob/Nate....Sound's like an awesome trip with some Great find's.....The 19' Merc look's smaller than the rest :dontknow: It's alway's good to hook up with a fellow T-Netter :thumbsup:

Thanks Joe. How have you been? I thought I remember you had some health concerns. Hope all is well.

ModernMiner said:
Bob,
Great post and pictures. Way to go on the old coins. :icon_thumleft: I'm glad you found Nate o.k. I had heard a story of some rabid Amish folk living in them thar parts of the woods. :tongue3:
By the way, that was me and my family in that tent you heard all the noise coming from. Sorry. ;D
Take care buddy,
Doug
P.S. Sud's sends his love.

Doug,
You missed out on an adventure. Yeah, you probably would have just gone over and joined that merry bunch. ;D

Schrecky said:

Dan,
I did think of you but I wasn't really in a position to invite you. Nate and I are thinking about going back to the spot so we will have to coordinate a plan.

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
You guys need to get some Motorola Radio walkies talkie things. Getting lost is not cool, if he really got lost you both would have a very bad time. If people are going to go into the deep woods and hunt you need a compass, maps and some kind of cell phone, walkies talkie, or radio at the very least. Otherwise you need a change of clothing and socks some kind of shelter tarp or tent, matches or a lighter. Never go out of site from your hunting partners. So if you do get really lost you can at least stay alive until found.

Sounds like a lot but its not if your talking about staying alive. You don't want your tombstone to say, "Died doing what they loved to do"

Nice finds, Hunt safe !

Keep @ it and HH!!

I understand your concern however the "block" was only about 3 miles square. It was bounded by perpendicular roads on all four sides. It wasn't hot and Nate being a cross country runner has some great endurance. He knew where the one road was - If he would have gotten tired he would have just stayed on the road.

Bob

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, look at this little gem of a picture I found. :tongue3:
Last time I saw a grin like that it was on a pitcher of Kool-Aid. ;D
-MM-

Attachments

• MeHoldingcoin.jpg
    MeHoldingcoin.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 194

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you guys had a nice time together getting out of Cleveland and hunting a new spot. Nice bunch of nickles you found. Any idea of what may have been there at one time?????

Nice oldie mercs too. Ron

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pics and great looking finds. Glad to hear that you guys was able to hook up for a hunt....Matt

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doing a little camping , then throw in some Detecting .......That will always make a good combination! Looks like a great time out.........WTG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread