Oyster pearls

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Does anyone oyster dive? I've seen lots of different types of treasure hunting on this website, but I haven't come across anyone diving for pearls. It's something I've been very interested in since I read a story on it in the fourth grade! It's one of those things I really want to do before I die! btw, the picture's not me, so don't get that impression. :P
oyster-pearl.jpg
pearl-oyster.jpg

102864~Close-up-View-of-a-Pearl-Inside-an-Oyster-Posters.jpg
ChesBay06.jpg

ChesBay02.jpg

(I am aware I have already posted this in another thread, but I think General Discussion is a more fitting place to post it.) I'd appreciate everyone's comments a lot! :)

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to eat the smoked oysters in oil that's all i know about an oyster.....

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MOrning. the Sea of Cortesz in Mexico was renowned for it's black Pearls and at one time was the world's center for natural pearls. The Mexican gov't restricted commercial gathering after a plague hit the Oyster beds. The Oysters have made a come back. Any questions that I might be able to answer?

Tropcal Tramp

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
That is so pretty! I don't live near oyster waters, but I once found a pearl in a canned oyster. ha! And the one rare occasion I bought a bunch of fresh oysters (in the shell) in San Francisco, I found that it took a sledge hammer to open the dang things. I didn't have much luck except cut-up hands. I guess there's an art to it that I didn't master. Good luck on your venture! -Noodle

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I was wondering what the laws are concerning collecting oysters in the wild?
Anybody have any ideas?
Peg Leg

bagglaydee

Mar 22, 2005
Kernersville, North Carolina
About 10 years ago I used to go camping on the Chesapeake Bay (DelMarVa Peninsula) and we'd wade out in the shallows and harvest oysters, mussels and rake clams to our hearts content! Clean and steam those babies and talk about some good eating! Don't know if the laws have changed in that area, but it was fun while it lasted.

HH....Barb

S

sailrunner

Im in the panhandle of florida , Ivan and Dennis took a toll on the oysters in the bay,,but they are still here in select spots. Lots of oysters...but no pearls yet ..dang the bad luck. :o.
I have just learned of a NEW BED today. Have to get out there this winter and see what there is to see of them. One thing is for sure..Pearls or not , I enjoy looking for and eating the ones that are just your everyday oysters.. Nice and salty here,,,

cajunmiss

Dec 2, 2006
SE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
NEW Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett GTI 1500 (board is out)
There are plenty oyster beds in Southeast LA. From my experience, any "pearl" I've ever found was very small and oddly shaped. They are not as seen in the pictures on your post. But, they definetely exist. Here the oyster beds are private leases, each lease owner has rights to harvest those oysters. Basically, it's "stealing" if you cull oysters from the lease, but it's rather hard to manage....because the water way is public...see what I mean?

But it's pretty neat to get one, I've only found them by biting into them...not a pleasant experience. I guess in my lifetime I'd say I've had 10 or so. None of any size...all smaller than a small bb.

Best wishes on your hunts though...there may be larger oysters in other climates...

cajunmiss

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got a pearl in my oyster dressing on Thanksgiving and i still have it. The odd shaped bugger nearly broke my fricken' teeth out. It looks more like a baby tooth than a pearl but its dang sure a pearl. HH, Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread