Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been wanting to do this for awhile - for any newbies or veterans that have never ventured abroad
wanted to do a vid - but easier to explain with pics
okay
I use a hard case Samsonite - its around 15 yrs old - has served me well - its got plenty of battle scares - but holds up fine
one of the best things Ive ever bought for my hobby
I will put a beach blanket down first - then my RTG travel scoop - upper rods for my machine (used to carry them on -but because of the
pistol grip - on xray it started looking like a gun when flipped and some countries (usually woman inspector ) would panic
so took it out of the equation ...then my wet boots
1acaspr.JPG
next
I will put a few pairs of my warm water gloves inside my scoop
(I wear gloves most of the time now - to protect from man-o-war/jellyfish and other living things that sometimes end up in my scoop
and from when Ive had to use my hand to churn up thick sediments that would not easily sift)
2acaspr.JPG
next
I will pack finds pouch (I own like 4-5 varieties) -one will be packed -other will go in carry on
will pack a mask or 2 - another will be packed in carry on
I will put in a hand scoop or short handled travel scoop as a back up - some ritzy hotels - I don't like whipping out the big boy
-don't want them getting upset or up set swimmers on some smaller beaches they may have
I put in a mesh bag with tools = small hammer, screw drivers, plyers, jack knife and items for repairs for unexpected breaks etc = zip ties, duck tape, silicon gel for water proofing
-usually some super glue - flashlight/headlamp, dive knife and always extra batteries
(batteries can be very some times very very expensive on some of the islands - try and pack enough)
3acaspr.JPG
next
new water proof pinpointer I will tuck in scoop with gloves to protect it - will fit mask, pouch and mesh bag in for comfortable fit
4acasp.JPG
next
I now pack this is a large dive bag - it can easily fit my machine and my long handled scoop (broken in to) - my mask and other necessities
for when I visit other hotels (on day passes) or even regular beaches where I do not want to draw attention - I will get a chair nearest the water
and covertly put everything together and slide into the water with as little fan fair as possible
My gal usually has me pack small beach bags for her and a towel or 2 - this will help to stop rattle and movement in the case
5acaspr.JPG
I will top off with my SURRENDER THE BOOTY blanket
6.5caspr.JPG
next
my carry on - I use a sports equipment bag - mainly used for baseball/softball
it has a zippered compartment for cleats/sneakers = I put 2nd pair of dive boots here
it has zippered compartment for a glove = will put my main mask & snorkel in here
I will rap one of my water shirts and swim trunks around coils for protection - I will usually wrap a towel around the boxes
or in some cases my light dive jacket or water sweat shirts I wear in the water (not needed in Caribbean waters)
I add 2nd finds pouch -
belt has my chest/waist mount - if suitcase gets lost or delayed - and has my upper rods in it = I can still hunt by just making a make shift one
if necessary - or I could still do shallows with lower rod in hand
with what I got here I could still find a way to hunt if all other equipment is lost - I would have to fan - but that's not a prob
6caspr.JPG
finally my personal item/carryon
I bring $100 in ones - $100 in fives and $100 in tens usually - 1's and 5's mostly for tipping
will bring passport - license - and usually only 1 credit card (if going out side the country - notify your card co.)
extra batteries - sunglasses - small flashlight - meds - digital cameras - underwater watch, loupes, phone
cords for cameras and phone, underwater vid ( gonna try again) - snacks/candy - I usually like to bring a bag
of pistachios (gives me something to do if bored), sometimes some cheese and crackers and some sort of candy - believe me - you get stranded on the
runway coming or going and you'll wish you had something - specially with most airlines having less and less to eat
for snacks - specially on the smaller planes - also if you like a candy bar now and then in your travels - airports ask double or triple sometimes
and prices on islands can be up there - if they even have what you want
will bring own head phones for music or movie if they have it
I pack this small stuff into a small travel bag/satchel
7caspr.JPG
if I travel alone - I will have to take second suit case for clothes - 75% of the time my girlfriend (of 18yrs) goes with me
100% of time if its south of Fla.
hope this might help some - always here to help or answer any questions if I can

Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're my idol. You've forgotten more than I know about detecting lol. Thanks for the post!

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So where are you going this time??

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
11giphy.gif

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gif.gif

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have packed my bag, just like yours. Works for me for some 33 years. Passport and tickets ready...see you at the airport.

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Casper, thanks for the information. It helps to get a few ideas by sharing information. I also use a CZ 21 and keep an extra battery door gasket and a few other parts with me for those "just in case" situations. Do you keep some of the more expensive parts as a backup like an extra battery compartment door or battery holder? I tend to be a little overkill sometimes. I was looking at the price of the battery holder that actually holds the four 9 volt batteries and they aren't cheap. I only have one CZ 21 and I know you have several. I've just read a few horror stories and would hate to have a trip ruined by being on a dream Caribbean vacation and a cracked battery compartment door or broken battery holder end my chance to detect. If I had multiple detectors of the same kind but could only carry one I would probably find myself taking extra parts from one of my other ones with me. Like I said though, I get paranoid about stuff happening and go too far sometimes. At what point is too far or too much?

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Casper, thanks for the information. It helps to get a few ideas by sharing information. I also use a CZ 21 and keep an extra battery door gasket and a few other parts with me for those "just in case" situations. Do you keep some of the more expensive parts as a backup like an extra battery compartment door or battery holder? I tend to be a little overkill sometimes. I was looking at the price of the battery holder that actually holds the four 9 volt batteries and they aren't cheap. I only have one CZ 21 and I know you have several. I've just read a few horror stories and would hate to have a trip ruined by being on a dream Caribbean vacation and a cracked battery compartment door or broken battery holder end my chance to detect. If I had multiple detectors of the same kind but could only carry one I would probably find myself taking extra parts from one of my other ones with me. Like I said though, I get paranoid about stuff happening and go too far sometimes. At what point is too far or too much?
DONT THINK YOU'D EVER CRACK THE DOOR OR BOX FOR THAT MATTER
SEE MY ARTICLE
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/b...1101-dont-know-if-i-posted-when-happened.html
GASKET A GOOD IDEA AND LOWER ROD
I GOT HIT BY A WAVE AND STUCK MY ARM OUT (THIS IS WITH MY PI PRO) AND IT HIT JUST RIGHT AND I SNAPPED IT
THE PLASTIC WILL GET WEAKER WITH AGE IN THE SALT WATER - SINCE THEN - I HAVE EXTRA LOWER RODS FOR ALL MY MACHINES
HAD METAL ARM CUFF FOR WHITES BREAK FROM WEAR AND TEAR - DONT HAVE TO WORRY BOUT THAT WITH THE FISHER ONES
I ALWAYS BRING A BACK UP MACHINE - NOT PAYING ALL THAT MONEY TO HAVE ONE GO AND NOT BE ABLE TO DETECT ALL WEEK
I HAVE MY WATER PROOF PINPOINTER - WHICH I COULD PUT MASK ON AND DO SHALLOWS IF NEED BE - IDEALLY - A DETECTOR PRO
UNDERWATER WOULD BE GOOD TRAVEL MACHINE - OR GOOD BACK UP IF YOU CAN AFFORD - REALLY EASY TO PACK AND CARRY ON
MY OLDER SCOOP - SCREW HOLE BECAME ENLARGED SO I WOULD DUCK TAPE SCREW IN PLACE EACH TRIP - THIS HELPS KEEP
SAND OUT OF SEPARATION AREA TOO - I HAD A STAINLESS SMALL BUCKET SCOOP AND PRIED INTO A DEAD REEF AND BROKE WELD
USED PLYERS TO BEND BACK AND USED HEAVY DUTY ZIP TIES TO SECURE - AND HAVE HAD OTHERS EPISODES WITH MINOR
THINGS - SO I LIKE TO BE PREPARED - YRS BACK ON TRIP TO FLA. - THEY LOST MY EQUIPMENT SUIT CASE AND TOLD ME I WOULD NOT GET IT
FOR LIKE 2 DAYS - GOOD THING WAS - I HAD MY CZ20 IN A FISHER HARD CASE - COMPLETE - BAD NEWS
NO SCOOP (THIS WAS JUST BEFORE FORUMS WERE FORMING - SO KNOW EMAILING OR TEXTING SOMEONE TO HELP ME OUT) CALLED LOCAL
DETECTING SHOP - CLOSED ON SUNDAYS - ALSO NO DIVE BOOTS - NO MASK & SNORKEL - WENT AND BOUGHT SOME GOGGLES FIGURING I
COULD DROP AND FAN - STORM HAD GONE THRU AND VIZ WAS ZERO - AND NO POUCH - SO I WAS SCREWED FOR THOSE 2 DAYS
MISSED 4 LOW TIDES - NEVER AGAIN - ON SOME TRIPS I WOULD PACK MY HAND SCOOP IN CARRY ON - HAD RAISED EYEBROWS
BECAUSE THEY SAID IT COULD BE USED AS A WEAPON - LUCKILY HAVE NEVER HAD UNCLEAR WATERS IN CARIBBEAN YET
SO I CAN FAN IF I HAVE TO

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Tips can work wonders. I was assembling my stuff on Orient Beach when a guy comes over and informs me " you are not doing that here "
I told him I would be working in the water, not near his customers, gave him a fat tip and asked him to keep the drinks coming to my wife.
Presto, all objections vanished.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread