Painted Kennedy Half???

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hey all,
Any one know anything about the Painted Kennedy Half's?
[img
I didn't find this detecting, my Ol'lady is a cashier,, she finds more coins then I do :(
I was wondering if anyone knew of the value, how many were made, any info...
I did a small search on the Web, but found nothing on it,,,
Any info would be greatly appreciated...

All I found today was a 1961 Roosevelt,,, my 14th silver coin... ;D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Thanks again Buckram, I should have know you would have the answer... ;D

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
As a cashier, I have seen many, many painted coins, but usually they have just one side painted. Usually red or blue. I don't know why. I have never seen any coin with the hair, or any other specific part painted. I doubt very seriously if it adds to the value, but it is kind of neat.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MDnoob the coins you are talking about, most likely were painted at a Bar Room, restaurant, or someplace that has a Juke Box., Pool table, or other coin OP machine, where the customers money go's to someone other then the establishment. The coins are painted, so IF the Bar Owner puts a Quarter in the machine, to play music, in order to Prime the Customers into using it also. it is easy for the machines Owners, to know how much of the take belongs to the Establishment . <> In some cases the Machine owner will give a roll of painted Quarters to the Bar Owner for this purpose, as people are more likely to feed a Jukebox that is already playing, then start the ball rolling themselves. especially in a Quiet restaurant.

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
From what I've seen sofar. this coin, being done the way it has, is more valuable then a regular Kennedy half.
Here's a website I found with quite a few defferent Painted coins: http://www.merrickmint.com/

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Valuable to the Collector of such , Yes. Most Dealers however, would call them Damaged :( . UNLESS of course, their the ones selling them? ::) LIKE THE DEALERS AROUND HERE & IKE DOLLARS OR SILVER CERTIFICATES, they'll give you a Dollar for a Dollar & turn around and sell them for 2 to 5 dollars

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Good point, Jeff.
I myself would rather look at a regular coin, the paint makes it looks cheap...
I know nothing about coin collecting. :-\ I will probably just hang onto everything I find, and give it all to my nephews someday, and let them figure it out. Hopefuly the value ( very small value ) of all the coins I have sofar will keep going up n value...

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another "variety" a person finds time to time are the two headed or two tailed coins. I have found one half like this and one nickel also. These are also done by a creative company AFTER they left the mint, so if you happen to find one, don't start spending them big bucks for a major error.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread