diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Supposedly from 1700's. The marks look Irish to me. Haven't researched them yet. Not my specialty but the price was right if they aren't worth much. Nothing special to look at but they do have plenty of marks on them. A matched pair by the same maker.

DSC00421 (1024x544).jpg DSC00419 (1024x987).jpg DSC00405.JPG DSC00414.JPG DSC00410 (1024x625).jpg DSC00406 (1024x563).jpg

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remind me never to buy pewter again. There isn't much info. out there on the web it seems. Here is what I have found so far, The TP marks are for Thomas Page who was an 18th century English Pewterer. So the lady didn't lie to me about the age I guess. I found a few mentions of the marks in this book, The Church Plate of Carmarthenshire. https://books.google.com/books?id=k...AL#v=onepage&q="thomas page" "pewter"&f=false
It may (or may not?) be what is termed a "credence paten" or plate used in a Christian church that holds the bread used for Holy Communion. That's all I got so far. Here is another excerpt from the same book which mentions the marks again on 2 different plates...
https://books.google.com/books?id=k...arthenshire thomas page harp elephant&f=false

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I've never had much luck with pewter. I think it's one of those collectibles that has a very limited amount of pieces that have a lot of value.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had much luck with pewter. I think it's one of those collectibles that has a very limited amount of pieces that have a lot of value.
I agree, but they were a bargain nonetheless. I think the niche of antique pewter collectors is small and specific. This is only the second time I have bought any pewter. I still have the other piece somewhere. I'll update when/if they sell.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
PEWTER CHARGERS ,NNNNEEEETT.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, but they were a bargain nonetheless. I think the niche of antique pewter collectors is small and specific. This is only the second time I have bought any pewter. I still have the other piece somewhere. I'll update when/if they sell.

I agree with you Digs. Keep at it with the pewter. Here in New England it's always pretty popular. I have both American and English in my collection as well as a couple of German and French pieces. It's tough to research hallmarks online. Not sure why, but there are some great older books out there on the subject. Those are a couple of great pieces.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they're nice & cool

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought there was too much info on old pewter to go through. These old measuring cups are the last pewter I purchased and the only pewter I may have purchased in the last 5 years? I bought em because they looked like they'd be fun to find out more about them. I got less than 9 bucks in them and maybe someone will give me more? They are from the early 19th century and another TN member found a link that maybe shed a little light on them.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/541857-old-pewter-measure-cups-france-age.html If anything I think your plates would make some great colonial style decor. That's the pitch I'm going to use on these cups if and when I get around to selling them

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread