May 6, 2009
NC USA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit an estate sale yesterday in a $1m house and saw a woman carrying two marine paintings. I was totally bummed out but about 15 minutes later I went into a room and they were on the wall. They are two steamship paintings by Alfred Dufty of Sydney Australia. One is of the British steamship Overton but the best one is the United States steamship Sonoma. It was a passenger ship on the California to Australia route for many years in the 20s. Anytime you see an American flag on a marine painting it increases the value exponentially. They were $45 and it looks like the comps are $1200-$1800. The Australian Maritime Museum has a huge collection in archives of his work. I am going to reach out to them to see if they are interested in them. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1541948806.382182.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1541948817.712016.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the beautiful paintings. :occasion14:

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man, great score. I am always on the lookout for nice (cheap!) paintings. $45 is stealing for those beauties.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it looks like SS Sonoma painting is going to find a home at the San Francisco Maritime Museum. They actually have a stained glass from the original ship in their library. This will be a great companion piece to it for their display. I am donating it and then will sell the other painting. Interestingly the family that owned the ship lines that ran the Sonoma was heavily involved in establishing the Maritime and their collection was the foundation for most of their collection. For those not familiar with it they are now part of the US national park service.

Last edited:

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it looks like SS Sonoma painting is going to find a home at the San Francisco Maritime Museum. They actually have a stained glass from the original ship in their library. This will be a great companion piece to it for their display. I am donating it and then will sell the other painting. Interestingly the family that owned the ship lines that ran the Sonoma was heavily involved in establishing the Maritime and their collection was the foundation for most of their collection. For those not familiar with it they are now part of the US national park service.

Way to go! Kudos to you JimDon.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iโ€™m hoping for about 1500 but it will depend on their valuation and there letter.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rip and run you killed it on those Well done

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread