Paleo Day Today CACHE

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gosh what a day. I dug the trinity camp again today. Just before I quit Tuesday I dug a 5 piece cache of 4 performs and a really nice oval based blade. I was thinking about them when I started today and I knew exactly where try came out of my trench so I started in the wall right there. First bucked right off the clay had a big point sticking up. I never put it on the screen just motioned for my nephew to come over. I pointed at it and he pulled it out... KILLER Angostura!

I knew I had found more of the cache. I quickly screened the over burden and started cleaning the sticky clay. Ango after Ango rolling out. First stage perfection.

I ended up with 19 total angos with 6 being first stage!!!. The rest of Tuesday was amazing as well. San Patrice, Scott's bluff, wells, Early Triange, etc. I even found a bone handle that was split and clearly had a blade hafted in it.

It was an epic day shared with a great friend Southern Camo , my nephew, and my Father. I'm blessed.

Attachments

• image000002_4.jpg
    image000002_4.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 138
  • image000001_7.jpg
    image000001_7.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 102
  • image000000_8.jpg
    image000000_8.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 88
  • image000001_6.jpg
    image000001_6.jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 115
  • image000002.jpg
    image000002.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 78
  • image000000_3.jpg
    image000000_3.jpg
    581.1 KB · Views: 93
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What exactly is a “8 piece Gary knife cache!!!”?

For those of us wanting to learn from your excavations.
Gary is a common and mostly uninteresting late archaic to woodland type. Most are poorly made and poor material although there are occasionally nice.

In this case the cache was large knife form Gary's. Not amazingly made but good enough! Ill post pics later. There was also two full groove hematite axes in the immediate vicinity but its uclear if they were with the Gary stash or a separate deal .

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary is a common and mostly uninteresting late archaic to woodland type. Most are poorly made and poor material although there are occasionally nice.

In this case the cache was large knife form Gary's. Not amazingly made but good enough! Ill post pics later. There was also two full groove hematite axes in the immediate vicinity but its uclear if they were with the Gary stash or a separate deal .

Thanks!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No bones? No beads or other Grave Offerings...?
Good job...!
That is an EXCELLENT Find...!
:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leave some for the rest of us!

Ok. I Origionally planned to dig all of them but then after much concern for fellow tneters... I decided to dig all my life but leave 1,693,999,001 out there in hopes y'all might find them. You better hurry though because while I was typing 13, 300 of them were covered in concrete.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
let me get my shovel...send me the map!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Some place without all those dang trees and brush to clear.

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back Saturday and dug about a 30ft circle around the cache. That sounds easy but understand that the cache was right In the top of the hard pan so all the over burden had to be screened to get there. That was good because I found a bunch of miid archaic and woodland in it.

Any way I was able to recover 3 more pieces of the angostura cache. Ill take a pic of the frame when I get time. I'm putting all of it together including the blanks. I think there is a total of 24 pieces.

GB Paleo

Feb 10, 2017
Out West in the Great Basin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a Fantastic weekend of digging artifacts Steve. I'm always amazed at the sheer volume of artifacts along those rivers down there. Congrats on that great Angostura Cache!!

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a Fantastic weekend of digging artifacts Steve. I'm always amazed at the sheer volume of artifacts along those rivers down there. Congrats on that great Angostura Cache!!

Yeah. Dug short days both days. Had maybe 600 Friday. Probably 800 Saturday including brokes. Then there are axes, metates, hammerstones, nutting stones, pottery etc

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
is any of your pottery intact?

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is any of your pottery intact?
No. Heavily forested areas rarely produce intact pots. Tree roots destroy most of them. We did dig about 100 pieces of one huge and highly decorated pot Saturday. Without a doubt we will dig more of it next time. We kept it separated.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You better hurry though because while I was typing 13, 300 of them were covered in concrete.

Ain't that the sad truth.... Any more pictures?! That is honestly one of the most amazing finds I've ever seen.

OP
OP
Garscale

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ain't that the sad truth.... Any more pictures?! That is honestly one of the most amazing finds I've ever seen.

I got the entire cache in a frame 24 pieces. Ill take pics tomorrow if I get time. I also got the Gary cache in a frame. Gonna start a new thread with better pics this time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread