Paleo Spurred Endscraper on Blade

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
I appologise for the pictures, friends. Just starting to learn photos & posting with huge help from TnMountains :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

OK. This is a complete Clovis spurred endscraper on lamellar blade. Humphries County, Tenn. Found by Bill Tatu ; gotten via Dick Savage. You don't often see these with lateral thinning for hafting. This one is, with grinding.

Attachments

• DSC00195.jpg
    DSC00195.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 362
Upvote 0
OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
This is the other picture that was supposed to accompany it, Material looks like hornstone, but heavily patinated.

Attachments

• DSC00194.jpg
    DSC00194.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 349

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
Now thats a nice endscraper, pardon my lack of knowledge what do you mean by spurred? TY for sharing.. JYD...

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
A spur is a sharp graver point (top right). Paleo scrapers in general have a lot of these -- generally where the working edge meets one or both sides.

Compare that with these late paleo/early archaic endscrapers. Corners rounded.

(Bottom one could go either way)

Attachments

• DSC00214.jpg
    DSC00214.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 344
OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
A few more Paleos for comparison, all but one of which show this

Attachments

• DSC00198.jpg
    DSC00198.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 345

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
thanks for explaining with pictures, very interesting, you sure like your endscrapers. were these always hafted? if so, on to what? bone, horn, antler. similar to knives. Thanks for all the info. I am trying to learn what I am looking for. I wish I would of started much earlier in life, but its never to late. Thanks again Uniface.. JYD...

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
JD said:
you sure like your endscrapers.
I have nine whole points -- early archaics from in and around Penna. After that, it's all tools like these. About 95 % of them unifaces. Whatever trips your trigger, I guess.

JD said:
were these always hafted?
The endscrapers tended to be. The sidescrapers (stay tuned) and other tool types generally weren't.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope I helped. That is what is great about this site as we get to learn so much from each other. I too have been re discoverying my artifacts with everyones help.
Those are some good examples if the first one was any flatter it would have been a plane?
Thanks for sharing your pictures.
TnMtns

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Once again -- You taught me everything I know about doing this ! :notworthy:

Many Thanks Again !

Being a lamellar blade, the bottom's flat, of course. (I.e., it's a uniface).

About all you can do is study how stuff was made and where the wear & re-sharpening is. From there it's supposition.

There were tools made specifically as planes, and some blade cores ("horse hoof cores") were used as planes also.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. One question. Did you use the example to your desk top and re-size? Just curious.

We appreciate your thoughts and knowledge on the tools. I am going to post a bunch one night for you guys to help me out.

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
right on uni!was wondering how long before you figured the pics out.Its alright i didnt touch a computer until last year and posting pics was beyond me,now i cant stop taking pics of stuff and downloading on to the computer.great examples of some paleo endscrapers :hello2:

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Since it's up anyhow : bottom left is made of Sonora, found in South Central Ohio. Top left is of Logan Chert, found along the Auglaze river around the Ohio/Michigan border.

Top right is glacial cobble Onondaga, from south central Pennsylvania.

Anybody recognise what the bottom right one is made of ? Looks similar to Coshocton, but isn't. No idea where it's from.

Ideas welcomed with open arms :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread