Paleoindian Bi-pointed Blade

daehworra

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2017
Colorado Springs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2: My first artifact ever found! :hello2:
This ancient bi-pointed blade came out of an old wall I was demoing the other day (House built in 1922).

I've spent hours upon hours searching for treasure, arrowheads, ginseng, morels, etc. without any luck. I must say this is rather rewarding.

Now I don't know much at all regarding this item. I've been told the flaking on it looks Paleoindian? Possible Agate Basin or Eden? Any input would greatly be appreciated!

12.jpg 21298873_1283920335064500_1855817926_o.jpg 21330934_1283920325064501_1604909616_o.jpg

Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I did see this elsewhere in the forum universe, and know it was found in Colorado Springs. The archaeologist you spoke to had suggested it might be related to the people who created Agate Basin or Eden projectiles. I mention this since what you say may sound confusing here in that experienced collectors can see that it is not an Agate Basin point or an Eden point. I do not know enough to speculate it might be a knife form related to the cultures that did produce those named point styles. One possibility would be a Lerma Pointed. Early forms of that type did display Paleo style flaking, later forms of that style were randomly flaked. Here are some examples to compare your piece to:

Lerma Projectile Point

I am just speculating here. I am no expert where Western point forms and knife forms are concerned. I do know that, in colonial New England, a tradition existed of placing everyday objects inside the walls of houses being built. A friend, when doing restoration work on a colonial era home he owned found a well preserved pair of 18th century shoes inside one of the original walls.

For sure its an unexpected place to find an ancient artifact, and it's a real nice find!

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Now I don't know much at all regarding this item. I've been told the flaking on it looks Paleoindian? Possible Agate Basin or Eden? Any input would greatly be appreciated!

View attachment 1490294

The first pic is a much better photo of the material and shows that it is a dendritic chert. Considering where it was found it is most likely Trout Creek jasper (chert).

As I mentioned on another forum I do believe it is an early piece due the flaking style. However I would say that it is not related to Eden points. I have never seen a bi-pointed knife form from the Cody Complex (Eden).

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to tell from pics the size of it. Any chance of seeing more pics possibly with it in hand? It's a well crafted blade but very odd for it to be in a wall.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably hidden in that wall due to the depression maybe holding onto it in case for an emergency fund that never came to be. Either forgotten or maybe somebody passed away before revealing its location. Sure is a nice blade.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE FIND NEW MEMBER AND WELCOME...

OP
OP
D

daehworra

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2017
Colorado Springs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first pic is a much better photo of the material and shows that it is a dendritic chert. Considering where it was found it is most likely Trout Creek jasper (chert).

As I mentioned on another forum I do believe it is an early piece due the flaking style. However I would say that it is not related to Eden points. I have never seen a bi-pointed knife form from the Cody Complex (Eden).

Not that I know much of anything about this stuff, but I do believe this is Trout Creek jasper (Chert) as well. Here is a comparison photo. Compare.jpg

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Years ago a friend bought an old house to flip. He pulled up the carpet and found $2,000.00 dollars worth of $20 dollar bills. All silver certificates. He was stoked! You found a beautiful point!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer piece. Welcome the forum.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Interesting piece. I agree with 11kbp that it really looks like an old point. I just can't think of anything from your area like that.

In the Great Basin and Pacific NW, there are Cascade points that can look like that. (The Cascade Bipoint like what was stuck in Kennewick Man.) They aren't that old, but often exhibit flaking that screams paleo to most of us.

Way further south than this section of the forum deals with you get into some really old bipoints. These are Jobo points from South America.

IMG_0396.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions