Park Surprise: Draped Bust Large Cent!

ScaredOfClowns

Apr 21, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett ProPointer, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This afternoon I hunted a local park I've hit a few times before and was surprised to find this Draped Bust large cent.

It's pretty toasty, but I can make out the right-facing profile on the front and the wreath and "One Cent" on the back.

Up until now, the oldest coins I've found at this place were from the 1920s, and I didn't expect to find this there (although the town dates back to colonial times). Definitely a nice surprise.

Thanks for looking - HH!

01 - Both Sides.jpg 02 - Sample Image.jpg 03 - In the Hole.jpg

Upvote 6
OP
OP
S

ScaredOfClowns

Apr 21, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett ProPointer, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is quite a hole you dug there. Congrats on the cent.

Thanks!

Not sure if the comment about the hole is a compliment or not, but the coin was about 8" down, and I wanted to be sure I didn't scratch it, so I went wide and deep. For what it's worth, I try my best to cut neat plugs (flaps, actually) and leave little or no trace. You can see the bottom of the plug in the photo, and I put the dirt I take out of the hole on a cloth so it can be neatly replaced back into the hole (also makes it easier to locate the target).

This hole cleaned up nicely - you'd have a hard time finding where I dug.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's nothing wrong with your plug. Nice find!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not scary or funny____________just a D#*n nice find. as with all toasted coppers--do a few minutes electrolysis and watch the details POPa light finger rub with baking soda or #800 wet sandpaper---it is really best if worn to about #1000 grit. not looking for abrasion, just to buff the surface, just use gentle care

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread