D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found a lot of clad at the edges of parking lots etc but today i am going cherry picking in a big gravel parking lot that is usually filled with cars at least once a month. This lot is about 5 acres and since i did so well at a park & ride lot not long ago I have to try this lot. Anyone ever have much luck in a big gravel lot. Last fall i found over $12 two days in a row in a grass parking lot used for sporting events at a high school stadium so i figure this gravel lot used for events should prove interesting.

Upvote 0

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt the parking lot at the soccer fields about every other time I go there. Always find some stuff, from the reach in the pocket, to get their keys!!

OP
OP
N

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know of several soccer fields i will try again, never had much luck at them but will try again

critter0527

Aug 24, 2013
I find gravel lots give me fits. I never get anything out of gravel. I may be digging wrong, but all I ever get is two inches down and that's with a lot of effort.

OP
OP
N

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got back and did the entire lot except for the very back edges. I had a bad day. 86 cents in the lot. Then I went to a soccer field and got 25 cents. After I left there I went to a nearby park and ran into the guy with the e-trac I spoke with yesterday. I told him I plucked over $4 from the area he said was clean. He said yea that's possible. We decided hunt the park somewhat together. He would cover an area then I would go over the same area to see what I could find and vice versa. Well I have to admit that e-trac is one heck of a detector. He found $3.70 and I found $1.25 cents. About 1/2 of what he found was in areas I hunted first and I dug every signal iffy or not. I was a bit embarrassed but one has to consider the cost of the e-trac as well. I am still comfy with my ATP.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know about yours, but up here gravel lots are rock hard. I've tried a few and haven't last more than a dig or two before I have to give up.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Parking lots are quick fast hunts you use a big coil on. Finds wont be very deep, anything deeper than you can kick with your shoe best be in a grassy area. Lots to be found, dont even need a detector. Soccer fields are off limits here, not sure about the parking lots. That is a good question I will have to get the answer too.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first gold found was in a graveled student parking lot at a local high school. It was an Italian necklace that I think may have been dropped in snow and then covered when the lot was plowed. It was broken and very close to the guard rail by the road, where a plow truck likely would have left it. My welding buddy made me a tool I use almost exclusively in gravel. It is a flat triangular point with teeth cut into it for small roots if I want to use it in a wooded area with a t-handle.

Last edited:

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a local mall parking lot. I started on the green areas. Man! I think I have never hunted in a huge garbage infested area. To tell you the truth I just left the place!

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st edge i hunted got me a buffalo nickle

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Parking lots can be very rewarding, but I've never done well in gravel ones due to the difficult digging and possibly drops there are easier to spot as well. Grass lots near fair grounds etc. are another story and usually worth the time.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions