Past two hunts including 5” Dovetail

RichPA

Sep 21, 2009
A hunt on 11/28/10 turned out to be my best ever. The ground was frozen when I arrived at 11:00am but started the day finding a few flakes. I expected a bad day but the ground slowly started to soften by the warming sun. The expanded base flint ridge point was my first find of the day. This point is one of the finest in my collection and didn’t expect a better find that day.

I walked to a spot where a nice broken tip was found earlier in the month. I noticed a black section in the mud and touched it with my finger to see if it was a leaf or flint. It moved when I pressed on it so I decided to get an insitu. I couldn’t believe what popped out of the dirt. My first thought was the possibility of matching the tip from the previous hunt. The real excitement began when the pieces matched up without a sliver of flint missing. I think it may be made of Upper Mercer Nellie due to the parallel lines running through it. It measures 2” wide by 5” long.

Attachments

• 11-24-10 Insitu.jpg
    11-24-10 Insitu.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 4,069
  • 11-28-10 insitu.jpg
    11-28-10 insitu.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 4,049
  • 11-28-10 dove base insitu.jpg
    11-28-10 dove base insitu.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 4,071
  • 11-28-10 dove base.jpg
    11-28-10 dove base.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 4,040
  • dovetail front.jpg
    dovetail front.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 4,072
  • 11-24-10 and 11-28-10.jpg
    11-24-10 and 11-28-10.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 3,977
  • dovetail back.jpg
    dovetail back.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 3,983
Upvote 0
F

Felinepeachy

OMG!!!!!!! Those are absolutely gorgeous!! Congratulations. :hello2: :headbang:

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Absolutely incredible. Banner is my vote. Super fine pieces!

Chuck

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Grinding?????

Is that wide stemmed point ground at all? I thought Ashtabula but, a buddy thought Tablerock. It is sooo nice whatever it is.

Chuck

OP
OP
R

RichPA

Sep 21, 2009
Thanks for the comments. The wide blade expanded stemmed point has ground base and shoulders. I was thinking it may be Ashtabula or a terminal archaic type. The horizontal shoulders are what throws me off. There is not much known about Terminal Archaic sites in SWPA. The archaeological record of the area goes from Late Archaic Steubenvilles to Early Woodland. The terminal archaic period is unknown and has no research available.

artorius

Jul 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
Nice finds. I vote Banner on both the Dove and the "Ashtabula". Is it possible that the "Ashtabula" actually is a Perkiomen broadpoint? Perks are more of an eastern PA type, but they do occur in the western part of the state.

artorius

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Rich,
To find both pieces of a monster like that is extremely rare. I haven't done it in 20+ years. Awesome dovetail.
Your little guy is an Ohio Bottleneck. They are related to Table Rocks, but your form is more accurately termed the Ohio Bottleneck. They rarely travel across your border. They often are ground, and almost always made of heat treated Flint Ridge. They are literally my favorite type, and if you ever part with that little guy, please contact me. Here are a few others from my collection. Unfortunately, I sold most of mine to a friend in Northern Ohio who has about 25 of them. I will ask him for a pic of his frame, and I will post it.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson

Attachments

• bottlehuron1.jpg
    bottlehuron1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 3,787
  • bottleneckers2.jpg
    bottleneckers2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 3,757

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your BANNER find, RichPA :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: !!!
What a beautiful dovetail!

OP
OP
R

RichPA

Sep 21, 2009
Jon, thanks for the pics and ID of the Ohio Bottleneck type. I was having a hard time ID’ing that one. I look forward to seeing pics of your friends Bottlenecks and will keep you in mind if I decide to part with any artifacts.

Thanks Sandcreek, I never expected to find a big dovetail. I was glad the tip from a previous hunt matched the base.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich I Need Better Pics .

"SQUARE"

This dovetail_back.jpg Looks like
This Copy of dovetail_back.jpg on the Banner.

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

Man Dude you blew it outtt the box... I can not believe it..... My heart beat, just got up a little.... Have you been able to sleep yet... Banner Dove dude, It really is...... John

OP
OP
R

RichPA

Sep 21, 2009
Thanks John, I was happy with the Bottleneck point but the dovetail was unexpected. It's the first thing I look at in the morning.

Jeff, here's a pic that should work.

Attachments

• dovetail.jpg
    dovetail.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 3,654

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Wow...Rich, those are two tremendous finds. Is the big Dove resharpened(beveled) at all? Looks like a big first stage that was possibly broken during production. That Dove is killer but I think your Bottleneck is even nicer, it's in perfect condition and the black and red ridge combo is rare. Congrats on those great finds bud, you'll never forget a day like that.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a beautiful piece of history. A well deserved spot on the banner. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
R

RichPA

Sep 21, 2009
Thanks again for all the comments and banner votes.

Atorius, I was considering Perkiomen on that point, but I think Bottleneck is most accurate. The horizontal shoulders made it confusing to type. The points found in my area are influenced from South and West of my search area. For some reason there is no influence from Eastern PA.

Th3ty7, the edge on the Dove has been retouched on the left side of both faces, but not enough to form a strong bevel. I would have been happy with the bottleneck alone. That was definitely one hunt to remember.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic that you found both pieces. Congratulations. I find the bottlenecks but never a Dove. What a great hunt and congratulations it looks great up on top. First thing I saw when I clicked in. First Dove I have seen on top. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread